How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL BOM  (Read 15854 times)

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.116 Chrome 48.0.2564.116
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: XL BOM
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »

Aprox, what size sheet are we looking at?
Joe, what are you meaning "size of sheet" ?

There are fellows telling you that these ribs or channels are on the plans and that they are 3/4" on one end, and 3/8's inch on the other end.  And as Tom nicely stated, each one is different in length due to the changing shape of your leading edge and trailing edge.  Am not sure what was meant by bad news.. But back to the ribs, Many-many aircraft tail feathers are/were built this way.

AS for sheet, I don't know what your meaning. as it is called out in the plans for material and thickness.

Best of success.
Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 44.0 Firefox 44.0
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »

Aprox, what size sheet are we looking at?

Joe, what are you meaning "size of sheet" ?

There are fellows telling you that these ribs or channels are on the plans and that they are 3/4" on one end, and 3/8's inch on the other end.  And as Tom nicely stated, each one is different in length due to the changing shape of your leading edge and trailing edge.  Am not sure what was meant by bad news.. But back to the ribs, Many-many aircraft tail feathers are/were built this way.

AS for sheet, I don't know what your meaning. as it is called out in the plans for material and thickness.

Best of success.
Scott

well looks like i have to cut strips from 0.02" material and use a brake to make them, so was wondering what size sheet to get. Unless others have an alternative.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.116 Chrome 48.0.2564.116
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
well looks like i have to cut strips from 0.02" material and use a brake to make them, so was wondering what size sheet to get. Unless others have an alternative.

Ok, now see what your talking about.
That is certainly a depends question, mostly depending on if it sheared to a line and then that line works for the next one.  Or if it is cut out each piece with the corresponding waste.  So I don't think anyone will commit to that answer.  With your CNC ability this would be easy for you to lay out each, (depending on your cutting/piece method) and then you can share what you come up with, or at least one worked for you.

As you know this is easy to draw out.. 
How I draw such:
form square box on the longest axis of your longest rib.
draw your two lines with min and max distance (width and length) at ends.
draw your next rib (hopefully using this just made cut line) and Z them back and forth for min. waste.
Your flanges will all be the same, so only length varies.
Then you can estimate at the same time all of your gussets required for this... pretty soon you have your 
"sheet size"
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
I wanted to order a bunch of adel clamps and wondering which ones people are using there is a DG and a WDG i believe.  I want to get a few 1/2" and a bunch of 5/8".

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ms21919clamps.php?clickkey=5220

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal