How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: RE: REAR SPAR MICARTA PLUGS  (Read 3022 times)

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.106 Chrome 51.0.2704.106
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
RE: REAR SPAR MICARTA PLUGS
« on: June 30, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
Okay, I'll admit it, this has me stymied:

Have drilled out the holes for the micarta plugs for the strut att. hardware.   Will one of you more experienced fellas tell me the build sequence regarding these?   I know that the rear spar slides thru its' slot on the ribs.   I also realize that a plywood plate goes onto the front of the strut att. location .   In order for the spar to slide thru the inb'd ribs that that plate has to be glued on after sliding those ribs thru.  To me it  seems that the plugs are glued FLUSH with the depth of the rear spar.   Then the fwd side plywood plate is glued in place between the ribs with 1/4" thru holes.  .   I'm really confused here.   Hey, I know some of you are laughing, but I would really appreciate some help.    Everything else is looking good.   Thanks fellas.

Hope you all have a nice 4th.

PS:   Any of you going to be at the Arlington (WA) show on the 11th?
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Re: RE: REAR SPAR MICARTA PLUGS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
Hi John,

I learned this the hard way and accidentally glued the front web of the rear spar (wing attach point) before sliding the spar through the ribs. No biggy, a quick fix with an electric plane and expensive wood shavings. I also drilled all the holes prior to assembly (I used delrin rod) and then glueded these in after the rubs were glued in place. I then attached the extra web. in this order.
  • locate and drill holes
  • feed spars and glue
  • attach additional web
  • drill out remaining holes through web
  • glue in plugs
 from memory the only place this is an issue (on the DE) is the rear spar attach point not the strut attach point as it does not have the extra web. I will go and take a look to be sure.
hope this helps a bit
cheers Paul

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.106 Chrome 51.0.2704.106
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
Re: RE: REAR SPAR MICARTA PLUGS
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 03:48:12 PM »
Ah!   A big thank you Paul.   Preciate your help.   Now I know what to do.   Cordially,  John
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal