How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Aileron pivot point  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Peterross

• No longer a Noob
  • Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 10.0 Safari 10.0
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Aileron pivot point
« on: September 29, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »
I'm trying to determine where the aileron pivot point is in relation to the trailing edge of the wing on a DE.
I assume I need 1/4" from the front of the aileron to the foam board, as there will be covering and I need clearance, but I am unclear how far back the pivot should be.
I don't care if it is referenced from the back edge of the trailing edge or referenced off the foam board.
Where have others put their pivot point?

Thanks

Pete

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.71 Chrome 54.0.2840.71
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
Re: Aileron pivot point
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
Mine is on the horizontal c/l of the rib and about 3/16" ahead of the location shown in the drawings.   IRON DESIGN, LLC's extra drawing pretty well explains it.   Since my aileron hinge points are now glued in I suspect I shall have to trim part of the upper gusset of the vertical rib stick ahead of the pin.    With the reinforcement of the area with the ply and sticks glued in for the foam board (or possibly .8mm ply should be more than strong enough (my thought).   Really watching the weight issues.    (The right wing will definetly be lighter (some balance correction issues ahead to compensate)).
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal