How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: rib gussets?  (Read 4844 times)

Offline Dylanleefly101

• building LE XL F-10
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 53.0.2785.116 Chrome 53.0.2785.116
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
rib gussets?
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »
does anyone have cad plans for the XL rib gussets? reason i ask is i want to lazer print them. and the guy wants dimensions.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: rib gussets?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
does anyone have cad plans for the XL rib gussets? reason i ask is i want to lazer print them. and the guy wants dimensions.

I added my pdf file for the gussets, in my down loads file.  From that you will be able to get dimensions. I guess you will see it when it gets approved. That is under the irondesign or Scottiniowa CAD file for downloads.

enjoy. But I must ask, you mean lazer print cut lines? Or something else,  will take longer to drive "anywhere" than to trace out the cut lines for your project.  Using these patterns, I think I cut out an entire wings gussets in 30 minutes or less. With almost NO scrap.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Dylanleefly101

• building LE XL F-10
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »
this is waht i meant. i sent him a pm and he wants files

Offline Chris Kleman

• Browser:
  • Firefox 49.0 Firefox 49.0
    • Airplanes at Home
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:08:02 PM »
I'm the guy with the laser cutter.  I can use the dimensions in the supplied PDF, but I don't know how many of each are needed.  I also am unsure if the numbers are corresponding to a location on the plans so I can't calculate the number either.  I suspect those gussets are for the XL model, but I've got the standard eagle plans.

Chris
Christopher Kleman
Plans building Legal Eagle & Mustang-II
http://www.airplanesathome.com

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:17:21 PM »
I'm the guy with the laser cutter.  I can use the dimensions in the supplied PDF, but I don't know how many of each are needed.  I also am unsure if the numbers are corresponding to a location on the plans so I can't calculate the number either.  I suspect those gussets are for the XL model, but I've got the standard eagle plans.

Chris

Yep, the numbers go with the supplemental plans...(location)  I guess you guys will have to build a rib or two and go over your drawings...to come up with a count that will work for you. I have been down this road before, if I say 10 and you needed 12,  then I am wrong.  if I said 12 and you need 10, then I am wrong again.  Been there, done that.    

maybe some wants to commit to the numbers, or maybe these won't work for you at all,  Looks like you got a great tool there, just add in a little bit of home work and you will have it.  Then you will be able to share with the rest of the eaglers the number you came up with and if it was right on the money.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »
A follow up- to the count of gussets

• I have not found a short cut to making a rib jig and the actual ribs

• with that in mind, if you have a very slick/quick way to make the gussets-fantastic.  So it would seem to be in order if your wanting a precise and accurate gusset count for each size
  •  build a jig- then build a rib- got to do that anyway
  • print out your gussets on paper, and lay them out to KNOW exactly how many and where you want them (could even number them front to back,  thus jotting down things like, (front Lower  gusset, 2 of part 1) (top front gusset, 2 of part 1)  see that is 4 already of the same gusset.  And the list goes on.

• What this does, is create a count that YOU know is correct for your aircraft, as well as double check the size/shape of the gussets. The wonderful thing about pdf's if done to scale, they print to scale very nicely. i.e. a 1" circle prints out to 1" on paper.

ok, enough on this from Scott

Fly well and far, safe and true to course.

Offline Chris Kleman

• Browser:
  • Firefox 49.0 Firefox 49.0
    • Airplanes at Home
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »
When I was cutting my gussets out for my eagle I had seen your pdf with the gussets, but I believe those are for an XL model.  I'm not certain if the XL has different gussets or not, though my understanding is they are the same wing but the XL is longer.  That said however, it could be the same shape airfoil and still utilize different style gussets in locations..  I figured rather than going down an unknown road, I measured what each of my gussets needed to be, then laser cut the set from my dimensions.  

I could cut the gussets at the sizes indicated on the pdf, but I would need to know how many of each one is needed.  Though since we can't assume every set of plans is exactly identical in scale I figured it best to go with gussets drawn with dimensions specific to the builders request.  I just want to make sure they get what they want/need and not what I think it should be.
Christopher Kleman
Plans building Legal Eagle & Mustang-II
http://www.airplanesathome.com

Offline Dylanleefly101

• building LE XL F-10
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 06:55:15 AM »
i need to find a printer and see if the plans are the size i need. as soon as i can get that done i can get the count of what i need. the XL has 26 ribs. ill be making like 1 or 2 more to test with.it will be in the 800 or 900 area to cut all the gussets. when i get the numbers i need ill send you a message. the rib jig is at my dads hour an hour and a half away so it might be a bit till i get over there.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 07:16:35 AM »
I used the drawing from scott, and made one set (one side of a rib) and labeled them as template, I cut 1-1/2" and 2" strips out of the 4x4 ply sheet, I then just layed the template in hand on the strip and traced the template placed in the paper cutter and cut it, traced the next and slice, trace slice, trace slice, it went very fast and most of the time i placed the templates in such a way that I only had one or two cuts per gusset. I cut two sets at a time as i was building, I used the jig for the ribs so when i took a rib out i would glue and clamp the gussets, placed the spruce in the jig and then glue the next set of gussets. The other thing i did not do was cut all the rib spruce at once, With my jig i was able to cut as i went and was able to custom fit all the angles in the spruce to its mating piece instead of all being square. This may seem like it took a long time but it did not, I did 2 to 3 rubs a night. My over all material used for the rib gussets was a 3'x 4' piece of ply. Very little waste.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal