How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Wing fabric attachment  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Bud K

• Dreamer
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Wing fabric attachment
« on: March 24, 2017, 07:26:26 PM »
Can someone explain why Leonard does not want the fabric on the bottom of the wing glued to the rib as it is on the top surface?  I've read about rib stitching the empennage due to 'ballooning' from the prop wash but I have noticed the bottom of LE wings doing the same thing in various videos? 

Bud K

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 56.0.2924.87 Chrome 56.0.2924.87
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Wing fabric attachment
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 04:58:48 AM »
Bud, hard to keep up with the avalanche of answers. Right. No.
 On the subject of gluing the bottom fabric:
Leonard said it wasn't necessary, not that you couldn't do it. He works very hard to simplify and keep weight off.
I would do as I feel comfortable with. Glue on the bottom can't weigh much after the solvent or water leaves.
I know some have rib stitched as well. Whatever made them comfortable.
 Any billowing is a good reason to ground the aircraft for an inspection. It should not be there. Questions that come to mind:
was the fabric shrunk enough? Has it come unattached? as in glue failure.
  Keep in mind these fisheye sports cameras sometimes produce some odd details. look at the last video from Les. 
Looks like his top longeron is a rubber hose. Slight movement of the camera makes for some unusual displays.
 I wonder what the weight penalty is for rib- stitch and the addition of fabric tapes to cover. 
Perhaps someone who has done it can provide some info.
 I like Leonards method of using a solvent based glue in two steps, especially the after shrinking step.  But I am planning on a water based adhesive so I will need a new plan. Or rethink it.
Tom XL-7
As to where XL-58 is? I think it has had at least three owners.

Offline Bud K

• Dreamer
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Re: Wing fabric attachment
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Thank for the reply, Tom.  I didn't think about the camera effects.  That could be what I was seeing in the videos.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal