How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Rib Gussets  (Read 3868 times)

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 56.0 Firefox 56.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
Rib Gussets
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:06 AM »
Need to place an order for the cap strips and gussets to start building ribs.  Looking at ACS, I assume this is what is used for the gussets?  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php 

1/32 (.8mm 3 ply) 02-20300 Full 4x4' sheets.

Do I need 4 full sheets just for the rib gussets?

1/32 0.8mm 3ply 02-20300  

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 61.0.3163.100 Chrome 61.0.3163.100
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
Re: Rib Gussets
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:04:28 AM »
No, but you will need the rest for covering the lead edge nose ribs.  When you order tell them to roll the sheets and ship in shipping tubes.  It costs less to ship the tubes than flat 4 X 4 sheets.  You will need to roll the sheets for the leading edge any way.

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »
No, but you will need the rest for covering the lead edge nose ribs.  When you order tell them to roll the sheets and ship in shipping tubes.  It costs less to ship the tubes than flat 4 X 4 sheets.  You will need to roll the sheets for the leading edge any way.

Thanks for the tip on rolling sheet. I doubt I'll be assembling a wing by next year.  Do you think one 4' x 4' sheet will be enough for all the gussets? I'd rather not have unused material laying around for months.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
No, but you will need the rest for covering the lead edge nose ribs.  When you order tell them to roll the sheets and ship in shipping tubes.  It costs less to ship the tubes than flat 4 X 4 sheets.  You will need to roll the sheets for the leading edge any way.

Thanks for the tip on rolling sheet. I doubt I'll be assembling a wing by next year.  Do you think one 4' x 4' sheet will be enough for all the gussets? I'd rather not have unused material laying around for months.
914Pete,  you can go here-  https://www.eaglersnest.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=11     and get a pdf sheet under my download name of "scottiniowa"  this would be full scale and to date, no one has told me they are to large or to small for each location required.   So if you consider them good, and cut your strips of .8mm ply to match the strip width for maximum use of each...you will be good to go.

A fellow told me once, that if I took the time to do the counting (amount of each piece)  lets call it 100, and if I knew, or in this case,  he told me for every 3"x 48"  I could get 33 of them,  then simple math would tell me I need 9" x 48"  to get 99 of them. That basically he did the layout, I did a little math, then paper cut them into containers, that in one evening, I would have them all.   Many builders have done this...and it works.   All you have to do is study your plans to get the count required per rib, then times ribs, then times two wings. 

I am guessing you know as most builders, and certainly the shipping company, that the .8mm ply rolls nicely one way, not the other way...  But if not, now you know. :emoji_u263a: 

When your ordering, I would plan on ordering it all, as the cost to ship, 1, 2 or 6 sheets will be about the same.   Being your cutting with either paper cutter or utility knife, there is no Kerf loss to contend with.
Just keep unused in a dry environment and your good to go.  (closets were well) 

cheers
Scott in Iowa
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:41:22 PM »
I second buying everything you need in as few orders as possible. Shipping can be a large part of you Legal Eagle final cost! Don't ask how i Know
Frank

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »
When I built Legal Eagle XL ORV ordered all the wood, metal, landing gear, fabric and tapes at same time.  Went down from northern California to pick it up in my pickup, saved enough to cover cost of gas, 2 nites and hotel and trip to Universal Studios and still had a savings left. Shipping is a large part of total expenses in building.
Les Homan

Offline edpogue

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.0 Safari 11.0
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »
I finished my ribs a month ago and it took almost a full sheet, however i was a little wasteful in the way i cut it.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal