How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Jim's XL build D-25  (Read 68979 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Re: Jim's XL build D-25
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
Are we talking about the pop rivets that hold all the strips together or the bolts that attach the strips to the 4130 tubes. Maybe I misread but I thought pop rivets were fine and bolts are only used to fasten the seat to the tubing.
There is around 125 pop rivets holding my strips together. I can't imagine anything that could cause them to give way while flying that would be a problem. I would think you would have much bigger problems if a force big enough to cause the seat to fail.
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
On my Double Eagle I used SS #6 round head screws to attach the seat. I used four screws, two on each end. I also used washers on the nut side. Put a drop of blue Loctite on each screw I used Home Depot 1/8 aluminum  pop rivets for the rest of the seat. The seat was comfortable, but when I decided to install push tubes for the elevator the seat rubbed the push rod. That is when I sandwiched the strips with two 1/8" x 1/2"  aluminum to make the seat more like a conventional seat. After a hard landing due to an engine out, the two places that I had the sides of my seat attached to bowed in. I don't know how this would handle something other than an unusually hard landing.  The seat is very strong as designed,

Offline Flyguyeddy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2018, 10:05:19 AM »
I think i know why my head is so close to the rear bars now lol

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal