How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Interested in building LEXL, have some questions  (Read 2620 times)

Offline bwaters932

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 65.0.3325.181 Chrome 65.0.3325.181
Interested in building LEXL, have some questions
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I am very seriously considering starting on an LEXL later this summer, but have some questions coming up before I purchase my plans. 

The biggest question that I have is about welding. I see that everyone torch welds the fuse. Is it acceptable to MIG or TIG these? I don't have a torch set up, but have my own MIG and access to a TIG. 

Second, can you all help me get a rough idea what the 5/8 tube costs per foot? I'm thinking about $3.00, but curious what others have found. 

I'm sure I'll come up with lots of others, but these will get me started.

Thanks for any help!

Offline bwaters932

• Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 65.0.3325.181 Chrome 65.0.3325.181
Re: Interested in building LEXL, have some questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »
More research says that I in fact should NOT MIG weld Chromoly, so it looks like if I go forward I'll get to learn yet another welding method. I like learning new things so this is just fine with me. 

Another question. I understand that the plane has to be under 254, and that the XL is designed for a pilot up to 275,  but what is the max useful load of the plane? I can't seem to find that anywhere. I'm curious if a small luggage shelf or area can be included if I wanted to do an overnight fly in somewhere.

Thanks!

Offline Golden Eagle

• Wing Nut
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.0 Safari 11.0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
If you are trying to stay strictly within Part 103 guidelines, the plane itself, minus pilot and fuel have to be 254 lbs. or less (unless you have a parachute).  If you add a pilot, and fuel, and a sleeping bag, those are considered cargo, which add to the loading on the wings.  I do not believe there is an upper limit as far as a cargo is concerned for Part 103 airplanes.  There is, however, a maximum stress limit of the Legal Eagle XL airplane as designed, which is 575 lbs. gross MTW.  You, as pilot in command, can make the determination whether you will exceed the stress limits of the plane or not.  The prototype was checked out, and if I’m not mistaken, was unofficially certified to be 4.4 G’s.  Maybe Leonard can verify this.

In a nutshell, you are recommended not to exceed the gross MTW (maximum take-off weight) of 575 lbs. for the LE XL  So, in answer to your question, “What is the useful load?”, the answer is 575 lbs. minus whatever you plane actually came in at for its final weight.  Let’s say it is 254 lbs.  Therefore, 575 - 254 = 321 lbs useful load.

Offline JohnB

• Beta testers
  • JohnB
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 59.0 Firefox 59.0
  • Eagle Type: xl
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 06:33:08 PM »
To be REALLY picky the 103 says "less than 254#" so if you hit 254 you are outta bounds.
The XL wing was static tested to 4 g's at 575#   ,no snap, crackle or pop when the support was removed,   everybody exhaled and cheered, Leonard bought lunch for the group. A GOOD day

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal