How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Materials list  (Read 3050 times)

Offline pilotbiker

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 66.0.3359.181 Chrome 66.0.3359.181
Materials list
« on: May 21, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
I have a question about the aluminum tubing on the list. After adding up what is on the plans, I come up with less tubing than called out on the list. For the wing struts it says four 12' pieces when it looks like four 6' 6" tubes is what it takes, (can you only get 12' pieces?).  Also one 12 footer of 5/8" (not 2) looks like enough for the stabilizer leading edge. For the 1/2" more is needed if you include the jury struts and braces. All the other sizes look like the right quantity. One last item, I see some discussion about using a steel leading edge tube for the vertical stabilizer with the big engine, is that really a thing? If so I'll need one less 6' piece of 1/2"aluminum. Am I missing something? I looked over the plans several times, but the more I look, the larger chance of looking right at something and not seeing it.

Thanks,
Mark.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 66.0.3359.139 Chrome 66.0.3359.139
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: Materials list
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
I have a question about the aluminum tubing on the list. After adding up what is on the plans, I come up with less tubing than called out on the list. For the wing struts it says four 12' pieces when it looks like four 6' 6" tubes is what it takes, (can you only get 12' pieces?).  Also one 12 footer of 5/8" (not 2) looks like enough for the stabilizer leading edge. For the 1/2" more is needed if you include the jury struts and braces. All the other sizes look like the right quantity. One last item, I see some discussion about using a steel leading edge tube for the vertical stabilizer with the big engine, is that really a thing? If so I'll need one less 6' piece of 1/2"aluminum. Am I missing something? I looked over the plans several times, but the more I look, the larger chance of looking right at something and not seeing it.

Thanks,
Mark.
Hello Mark, before to many answers come flooding in, could you give the location of the "list" vs the plans?  It is pretty hard to argue with the figures given in the plans for each part, then added up. But am not sure what "list" your referring to?   In fact it looks like your comparing all the measurements to the grand total in the "list". With some being more and some less.    If the "list is entirely wrong" perhaps the powers that be, should remove or modify it.

Best of success.
Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline JohnB

• Beta testers
  • JohnB
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 60.0 Firefox 60.0
  • Eagle Type: xl
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
The "Materials List" included in the Drawing packet is always open for review.  As I make up the list for each of the airplanes AFTER Leonard has built them (we live 80 miles apart) there are some things that are close but not enough and some too much, We adjust as builders give us feedback just like this.

The Double Eagle took a couple yrs as it was already covered when I first saw it.    I'll do some homework on the tail this evening and report shortly.   those with flying XL's using the round struts and 4130 fittings per plans please measure the strut portion only and report how long.   Thanks   John Bolding

Offline pilotbiker

• Browser:
  • Chrome 66.0.3359.181 Chrome 66.0.3359.181
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »
Ok,  thanks John and Scott, that explains it. So it sounds like the list, (back page of the plans), is a ballpark, but close.  It's not a big deal, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, stranger things have happened. I will check the plans and compare to the list before ordering. I just want to get all the big things in one order and avoid more big shipping if I missed something. In the spirit of Leonard's philosophy of scrounging, I got what looks like enough spruce for all the non-plywood pieces, and some 4130 tubes for the "favorite price," of free! After checking with all the hangar bums I know, I'm ready to buy the rest of the materials.

Mark.  

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal