How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Aerodynamic struts vs. Round ones  (Read 3190 times)

Offline pilotbiker

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 66.0.3359.139 Chrome 66.0.3359.139
Aerodynamic struts vs. Round ones
« on: May 04, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »
On the wing struts, I read somewhere here that the aero struts are heaver than the round ones, (I think Les Homan said that). I am gathering materials for the build and am weighing the strut choices. 1. Use the round ones and put fairings on them, (having that much drag just seems wrong, even on a slow airplane). Or 2. just get the aero ones and call it good. How much do the aero ones cost? I found the right tubes at the local Aerospace surplus store for around $17.00 each (1.25" x .058" x 15' 6061-T6), but they only had three when I was there and because it's surplus they can't guaranty they will get more. I will keep checking and if they have four I am thinking get them and make light fairings for them. What do you all think? Remember, $17.00ea. !

Mark.

Offline JohnB

• Beta testers
  • JohnB
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 59.0 Firefox 59.0
  • Eagle Type: xl
Re: Aerodynamic struts vs. Round ones
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »
IIRC the weight penalty is 7-8 POUNDS for the streamlined struts. Round tubes with 016 fairings is my choice.  Cheap  Light

Offline LSaupe

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 63.0.3239.132 Chrome 63.0.3239.132
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:23:31 AM »
JohnB may have the lightest option out there.

When I built my Kitfox I started with the round tubes, and then added pvc clip on fairings after the fact.  They did help climb and cruise and also glide.  At the price of weight however (about 12 lbs total in that case).

One option often used (and recommended) by the earlier Kitfox manual was to just fair the aft edge with wood.  The wood contained lightening holes and was then glued on and fabric covered.  Added strength to the tubing as well.  Very light, effective system.   Heck, it could probably even be balsa wood.

Pic from the Avidfoxflyers site.

Offline LSaupe

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 63.0.3239.132 Chrome 63.0.3239.132
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 07:32:14 AM »
More options in case you hadnt yet seen these (these were much lighter than the ones I used):

http://www.uflyit.com/streamline_fairings.htm

SMALL - FITS .625" (5/8") to 1.25" Round Tubing (weight is 1.45 lbs. per 8' section) - 4 pieces, each 8' in length:  $200, plus shipping.

Offline pilotbiker

• Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.1.3 Safari 9.1.3
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, wow, eight pounds! That gives a bit of room to work with for fairings. But it can return quickly if not careful. The plastic ones (at 8ft.) add back 6lbs. for all four, two pounds is still better than nothing. I fell like being extra careful about weight (and price) on this airplane is the whole challenge, I wasn't as careful on my last two airplanes. I think it will be fun to work within those two boundaries. Remember the words of Steve Whitman, "Just add lightness". 

Thanks,
Mark.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal