How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Filter  (Read 3792 times)

Offline rockiedog2

Filter
« on: January 10, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »
what do yall think about this?
i got several old cub type air filters around here that will fit the airbox i got. but all the elements are rotten. think they're just paper elements like any Fram car air filter from wal mart. think i'll cut that old element outa the frame and cut a portion of a fram out and fix it in the old frame. with 1/4 hardware cloth behind the paper elemant case it comes apart.
what i'm undecided about is how that fram paper elemant will hold up under a heavy rain. it'll be right there exposed on the nose of the plane just like a C150.  i'm not sure it will pass air if its soaked. anybody got experience with that? its not critical as have alternate air from the carb heat side of the airbox.
will probably go ahead and do it even if sternly advised not to since a replacement airplane filter is about 70 bucks
we can't be too cheap
spencer

Offline Dan_

Re: Filter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »
K&N will run in the rain...  They filter better the dirtier they get... to the point of needing alternate air.  Ask me how I know. 

Never mind I'll tell you, I had a forced landing.  Thankfully it was from the downwind leg.   A rotax 503... It kept the prop turning but had no power, from being totally flooded.  If you run K&Ns make sure to cover the filter with a zip lock baggy to keep dust from settling on them.   No telling how long this plane had been sitting before I got it, but I started taking care of the filters from then on.

Here is the certified one You won't like the price.  But what you need to do is go to Napa or Advance and have them cross reference it to the lawn mower that uses the same filter...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »
yeah KN oughta be better. i had quit using those on my bikes cause they didnt really seem to do the job in heavy dust but they oughta be just fine in this plane. i think i got some in the junk room. will look. thx
you oughta known better than to be in a 2 stroke whether the filter was dirty or not. if that didnt cause it to quit something else would have.

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:19:54 AM »
:)
LE - 92mmx78mm 1/2 VW 
Fisher Classic - Cassler 94mmx86mm Full VW
RV-10 - Lycoming IO-540
http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

Offline Dan_

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:26:59 AM »
you oughta known better than to be in a 2 stroke whether the filter was dirty or not. if that didnt cause it to quit something else would have.
That going up like riding an elevator is addictive...

Before you guys came up with that "45" nuttin else would do that but a 2 smoker...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal