How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Building Legal Eagle, Double Eagle Using Titanium Tube?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline swferris

Building Legal Eagle, Double Eagle Using Titanium Tube?
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:08 AM »
Has anyone built (or is currently building) a Legal Eagle, or a Double Eagle fuselage using titanium tube?

I was on a bicycle building forum recently and the topic of building bicycles with titanium tube came up.  Many upscale bicycles are built from titanium tube.  Titanium has roughly the same strength as chromoly steel, it has better "spring" ability than chromoly steel ("springs" rather than permanently bending / deforming), it has excellent corrosion resistance, and it is roughly 45 percent lighter than chromoly steel.  Titanium is a frequently used metal in aviation.  From Wikipedia (titanium use in aviation and marine applications): Due to their high tensile strength to density ratio, high corrosion resistance, fatigue resistance, high crack resistance, . . . but titanium is significantly more expensive than chromoly steel.

However, on the bicycle building forums, a number of people have stated that from time to time you can find some real bargains on titanium.  One person stated that from time to time you can find surplus titanium (sheets, tube, etc.) sold for pennies on the dollar.  One person stated that Boeing was practically giving away surplus titanium a few years ago.

Offline Bugsmasher

Re: Building Legal Eagle, Double Eagle Using Titanium Tube?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
Funny you mention titanium....my tail wheel spring is made of it. Far lighter than most out there. I love welding it but it has to be welded in an argon rich atmosphere...in a cabinet or fully purged inside the tube with a gas lens on your torch. It welds easier than anything I have TIG'd. The weld has any rainbow colors....it is weak and or brittle. The weldment should look silvery grey with no discoloration. Quick cooling is also not good. I do make a lot of small brackets and the likes of 6AL as I have a lot on hand.
They ask me what it's made of.....I tell them bed sheets and broomsticks seem to fly best....

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal