How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Camshaft selection choices  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Bugsmasher

Camshaft selection choices
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
Just ordered an Engle W-110 cam and some other goodies. I hope that this is the cam that gets the most air miles on. I also ordered a set of lifters with the oil hole in the bottom for extra cam lobe lube. As I will only need half the set...the other 4 will be for sale when I get the package of goods. I will post in for sale section. Any comments on cams in use or suggested cams?
They ask me what it's made of.....I tell them bed sheets and broomsticks seem to fly best....

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Camshaft selection choices
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
I have a couple engines with the Engle 110 cam in them - it makes power but has a harsh exhaust note and the idle is best at 1050 rpm... The higher idle does not pull the plane so Ok... As Leonard says on the 1/2's, idle 1000, taxi 2000, fly 3000... I like to see a minimum of 3200 static because I'm over gross and often in density altitude considerations... The 110 on #33 69x94 with duals (EI & Carbs) static pulls 190 lbs on a Tennessee 54x20 at 3350 rpm... Tim Floyd has an Engle 100 on his 69x92 and likes it - idles real smooth...

Scott Casler & Steve Bennett are putting out engines with different performance cams - I think maybe Sam Buchanan or Joe Spencer have some info on that...

Offline flydog

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
Steve
is that 190 lbs thrust with a 1/2 VW?
If so I'm wow-ed.
Thought I saw somewhere numbers much lower than that.

Offline Bugsmasher

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
So what are Scott and Spencer doing cam wise if they would share? I did change the cam to the Engle 100 for a lower duration before they shipped parts. The cam as advertised  420" Valve Lift (1.1 Rockers), 276 degrees duration. Seems a stock cam has .334" lift with 1:1 rockers. Interesting study of these cams offered by vendors.
They ask me what it's made of.....I tell them bed sheets and broomsticks seem to fly best....

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »
Steve
is that 190 lbs thrust with a 1/2 VW?
If so I'm wow-ed.
Thought I saw somewhere numbers much lower than that.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EaglersNests/database/11/records

Scroll down to September 1, 2004 heading:
http://www.angoraaffaire.com/leu/id67.htm

Test was done with a certified scale and an engineer observer... Steve

Offline flydog

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
Just thinkin out loud.
Has anyone experimented with advancing the cam timing to lower the RPMs of peak torque?
What if we could move the peak torque/HP down to 2700, 2800ish?
Then run a larger diameter/more efficient prop?

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
According to Bob Hoover the torque peak moves down 200 rpm for every 4 degrees of cam retard... On his Chugger motor he was planning to retard a stock cam 4-7 degrees...

I've read elsewhere that the Engle 100 & 110 cams usually measure 2 degrees of retard...

There are some 1/2 Vw's now running with the HVX mod's but I don't know if the cam timing was modified...

It's real easy to put too much prop on a 1/2 and get stuck with a static rpm around 2900... If you hook up a manifold pressure gage you can figure out if that's the problem... I think Steve Bennett of GPAS looks for no more than 24" of pressure... I think his number there has changed over time so a call to confirm current thinking is in order... Bennett in Forums has always said that too much prop is the reason for most early engine trouble calls... 

A static rpm change of 200 rpm makes a huge difference in aircraft performance...

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal