How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: 4220 slick mag condenser  (Read 9979 times)

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
4220 slick mag condenser
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
Anyone know the best place(read that cheap, quick, reliable) to get a replacement condenser for the slick 4220 mag? Thanks
Frank

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: 4220 slick mag condenser
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:11:04 AM »
Anyone know the best place(read that cheap, quick, reliable) to get a replacement condenser for the slick 4220 mag? Thanks
Quick and reliable is Aircraft Spruce. Cheap it isn't at $127.75, but that seems to be the going rate.

SLICK CONDENSER M3183 / K3984

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 18.0.1025.308 Chrome 18.0.1025.308
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:32:13 AM »
Thanks Sam-  the sad thing is I can buy the whole mag with leads new for 100.00 on ebay. Had hoped to find the condenser for much less. My mag looks new inside .
Frank

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
Thanks Sam-  the sad thing is I can buy the whole mag with leads new for 100.00 on ebay. Had hoped to find the condenser for much less. My mag looks new inside .
Frank, the problem is the "new" mag may be nearly 30 years old! These are new-old-stock items so the condensors may be dried out even when the mag comes out of the box. The box my mag came in was stamped "1989".

My mag worked fine, but I didn't want to chance misfires when we only have one ignition and two cylinders. So I gritted my teeth and installed a new condensor, figuring it would be a bargain if it kept me out of the trees.  :)

Offline docmatt

• doc matt
  • 2015 Donor
  • DE E-04 under construction
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
  • Eagle Type: DE
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 05:18:39 PM »
In the spirit of Leonard's "scrounging" ability, I would research the specs on the condenser and replace it with a stock capacitor from an electronics supplier.  There is really nothing very special about those things.  For my vintage motorcycles, I usually just look at the ones on the shelf at the local Farm & Fleet and pick one that looks like the same size.  Works every time, and only a couple bucks.  For an airplane, I'd do more than a visual match and get one with the same specs. You might need to add your own connectors or make a different mount.
doc matt
DE E-04 under construction
Mineral Point, WI

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 05:52:04 PM »
Somebody try these people and let us all know what they say...

http://www.wisconsinmotorscanada.ca/wfmident.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 06:06:34 AM »
In the spirit of Leonard's "scrounging" ability, I would research the specs on the condenser and replace it with a stock capacitor from an electronics supplier.  There is really nothing very special about those things.  For my vintage motorcycles, I usually just look at the ones on the shelf at the local Farm & Fleet and pick one that looks like the same size.  Works every time, and only a couple bucks.  For an airplane, I'd do more than a visual match and get one with the same specs. You might need to add your own connectors or make a different mount.
I considered going that route, but I don't know the specs on the Slick condenser. The 45hp engine with one ignition and serious compression doesn't give us any margin for a ignition hiccups. A significant mis-fire and that engine will stop and there is no way to restart it. I considered $125 a pretty good value to insure the sparks keep a-sparkin'.

If the engine had four cylinders and dual mags I would be more prone to explore alternative condensers.

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 07:47:40 AM »
100% with you on the new condenser Sam, cheap insurance. Just looking for a better price. got a lead, will post results later.
Frank

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Browser:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »
Well I had an interesting phone journey today. Called Chief Aircraft- they have the condenser for 74.95 -PN AE AN 3183. wanted to make sure it was correct before ordering, they had me call Aero Accessories- it’s their part or was, not sure. So it is the correct part.

BUT Aero had me call Aircraft Magneto Service. Don answered, explained my situation, 4A084, odd engine and all. He was Very helpful and informative.  Told him what I was doing and there was New/old stock 4220 mags w/harness on ebay for 100.00. he suggested I buy one and be happy, said the condenser would be fine. Apparently the condenser is good long as it hasent been used, at least that’s what I understood.

Side Note: If, When I need Mag work done on the -6  I’ll sure call Don at Aircraft Magneto Service. Knows his stuff. He spent half an hour with me explaning magneto things after he told me to buy the new 4220 on ebay. Look up their website ;-)

So, I’m buyin the one on ebay. So happens my father in-law has a tester for condensers, we’ll do that. If  I need a condenser I’ll get it from Chief.

It’s late- just finished gluing up a spar.
Frank

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal