How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Double Eagle Folding Wings  (Read 1244 times)

Offline MikeHuffman

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 109.0.0.0 Chrome 109.0.0.0
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Double Eagle Folding Wings
« on: February 25, 2023, 12:19:42 PM »
I just acquired an unfinished DE project (complete with a legal set of plans) from New Jersey; the wings are completely built; I haven't yet inspected them against the drawings, but I intend to.

The basic steel-tube fuselage and the tail feathers have been cut, fitted, and tack-welded in place--a few "finished" welds have been made, but they are not good quality, so I will grind and re-weld them properly. (I am a long-time aircraft homebuilder, beginning in 1968; I am proficient at aircraft welding. Anybody that is interested is welcome to visit my website sportaviationspecialties.com; the Gallery page shows a few of the airplanes I've been involved with over the last 50+ years.  In addition, I am a longtime engineer, A&P Mechanic, and an FAA DAR certificating amateur-built and light-sport aircraft). I have inspected the fuselage and tail feathers to the plans and have found them to be very close to the dimensions shown.

I would like the completed airplane to have folding wings. I've studied the online photos of the Cabin Eagle and it seems that it would be fairly easy to remove the stock tack-welded DE wing support structure and install a center section support structure similar to the CE (I'm not interested in enclosing the cabin--I would simply like the wings to fold). From the photos, I can visualize the mechanism of the aft spar wing pivot fitting. And I can see that, unlike the Double Eagle, the Cabin Eagle has both the forward and aft wing struts coming together at the bottom and attaching to the aft fuselage fitting (similar to the Cessna 140 I restored). I'm assuming that folding the wings requires complete removal of the wing struts.

So, I'm seeking the group's opinion as to the practicality and wisdom of incorporating the wing folding mechanism (preferably from those who have already done so) and how I could obtain the necessary Cabin Eagle design details.

Thanks very much! Mike Huffman

Offline okdonn

• Don in Oklahoma - DE Plans B-40, CE-02
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 110.0 Firefox 110.0
  • Eagle Type: CE
Re: Double Eagle Folding Wings
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 06:25:25 PM »
Not to be flippant, but the easy way to get the folding wing Cabin Eagle details is to purchase the plans from Leonard --

https://legaleagleairplane.com/product/cabin-eagle-package/
Don in Okla.  DE Plans B-40 (small), CE plans CE-02 (all weather),  Tailwind project #746 (medium),  C182A (large)
One size does NOT fit all!

Offline MikeHuffman

• Browser:
  • Chrome 109.0.0.0 Chrome 109.0.0.0
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 01:03:24 PM »
Thanks for the input, Don.  Yes, I may very well buy the plans from Leonard.  However, before I spend the money, I would like to hear from any builders who may have already done the mod--I'd like to know about the results: weight penalty, potential performance penalty, potential additional turbulence on the tail surfaces or need for a larger horizontal tail, difficulty and time required to fold/unfold the wings, etc.

Mike

Offline okdonn

• Don in Oklahoma - DE Plans B-40, CE-02
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 110.0 Firefox 110.0
  • Eagle Type: CE
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 05:16:06 PM »
Last I heard, there were not many cabin eagles flying so not much data out there yet.
Don in Okla.  DE Plans B-40 (small), CE plans CE-02 (all weather),  Tailwind project #746 (medium),  C182A (large)
One size does NOT fit all!

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal