How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL fuel system low point quick drain  (Read 6096 times)

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
XL fuel system low point quick drain
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
I was planning to use the stock VW fuel pump, not sure where to put the low point quick drain in.  Plan was:

Run fuel line from tank down to  fuel pump.(will go through a fuel shut off valve on way down.)

In line fuel filter would be located on the way down the wing mount support tube.

Fuel line out of pump to a brass T fitting which will feed each Mikuni carb. ( this seems to be the low point)

Is there a small quick drain, gascolator that could be put in near the T fitting with a drain tube going off the side of the engine?

Or a combo fuel filter quick drain someplace. All I see are the huge gascolators like on my Piper.....   

How are you guys doing this??

Bob

Offline rockiedog2

Re: XL fuel system low point quick drain
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
hi Bob
I'm wondering why the fuel pump assuming you're using a wing tank. There should be plenty of head pressure..of course a flow test for a full line should be done to verify.(If you're using a 45 horse I would use at least a 5/16 line). If you're using a tank like Sam's and dual carbs then disregard the below.
If you put a drain at the tank outlet and a valve immediately downstream then the tank itself becomes the low point on preflight. Open the drain and if there's any water it should drain. Then open he valve.  And if you put a standard gascolator in the line to the tee all the fuel has to go thru the bowl and theoretically anyway any remaining water should accumulate in the bowl enroute.  That's good for about 4 or 5 ounces. On mine I don't even have the drain at the tank just the gascolator enroute and have never had a problem. But I run all my fuel thru  a Mr Funnel and am careful with fuel handling in all respects.  I quit using fuel filters some time ago after a couple bad experiences with them skimming over and it not being evident on preflight(the clear glass filter)...I much prefer just the screen in the gascolator. I have a Y instead of a tee...I didn't like the perceived flow restriction of the tee. But that may be overkill...
Lotsa ways to do it I just don't like the pump if no compelling reason (like insufficient head) cause of weight/complexity.
Have fun
Spencer

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
Spencer, thanks for this. I also was wondering about the need of the stock VW fuel pump. I will cap it off. I am running the 37hp wing tank and was planning on the 1/4" id hose. Y connector another good point.

Where did you mount the big gascolator?

I like the idea of a combo quick drain up at the tank to drain before turning the fuel on.  Drain first thing as the low point, then turn gas on.

just not quite sure what the plumbing fittings would look like at the tank outlet.....A Y junction for the drain hose and the other for the fuel line.....

Bob

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
I ran my 37 for a couple hundred hours with 1/4 line. plenty big on mine.
I got the gascolator hanging from the diagonal in the cockpit. I ran it just hanging in the line behind the windshield for a long time. looked kinda funky but always worked ok.
at the tank outlet if I was doing it I would put a AN911D nipple in the tank, then on the nipple AN 917D tee with the long run vertical. on the bottom of the tee I wud put the quik drain and on the horizontal port AN 840D hose nipple. that's all with the tank outlet on the bottom not on the side

Offline weasel

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
This is not an XL.......and dont make fun of anything on it cause its workin just fine :silence:

If you look close at the start of the vid you can see the fuel line running down behind the seat there is a drain at the low point in a Tee and then ahead of that about 6 " is the fuel valve.

LE - 92mmx78mm 1/2 VW 
Fisher Classic - Cassler 94mmx86mm Full VW
RV-10 - Lycoming IO-540
http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
aw man that tore me up. I gotta get mine put back together
say Weasel does that motor have any compression much?

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal