How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Spot the station  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Spot the station
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:42:34 AM »
I have signed up at Nasa's web site to receive email notifications of when I can see the Space Station going over my area.  I have seen it a couple of times before, but it is somewhat a challenge when it is visible but at a bad time of the morning hours, or the weather is bad.

Tonight, if the weather forecast did not call for rain would be sizing up to be a perfect opportunity to view it, and this is what my particular email contains... Time: Sun Apr 06 8:27 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 66 degrees, Appears: WSW, Disappears: NE

I live away from city lights but amongst the hills and trees so there is a small time offset (where it would appear on the unobstructed horizon) before I can actually see it, but when you spot it there is no question what it is...  Nothing else but meteors, comets and UFOs move that fast and are as bright.

Here is the link to look up your area to see the next time you could spot it:   Spot the Station

If you sign up for the emails and use Yahoo email you will be SOL... the email will come days or weeks too late.  I use a Gmail account...

>>>Happy Hunting<<<

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: Spot the station
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »
I've had an interest in astronomy for a long time (still have the 10" Dobsonian scope I built in 1980) and one of the most remarkable sightings I recall was when the Shuttle and a supply ship were flying in close proximity to the space station.

The first bright object was the station closely followed by the supply ship, then a minute later the shuttle in trail came into view. Wow! Fortunately the sky was perfect for seeing this unique formation flight.

Offline bill utt

• Beta testers
  • flown 7-5-14
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Modified DE
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
I too have always been interested in the heavens and NASA. Even sat down to lunch with Wernher von Braun at the age of 12.
What a memory!
Thanks Dan, I signed up.
"Any time spent off this planet, is time well invested"

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
Dang...  I'm impressed.   No telescope or NASA connections here,  I just hope to get to see the station again soon with my necked, however presbyopic eyes.

I have a good angle (high) again tonight but it looks like another overcast night.

Time: Mon Apr 07 7:38 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 62 degrees, Appears: SW, Disappears: NE

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline bill utt

• Beta testers
  • flown 7-5-14
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Modified DE
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »
Just a neat memory. At that time I was into rocketry and wind tunnels. Didn't realize till later in life just how far reaching Dad's connections went.
I live on a small ridge of a basin. with no trees in the way. Have seen the station several times, just by looking up and staring at the sky.
Thanks again.
Bill
"Any time spent off this planet, is time well invested"

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal