How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Spar Cap question about grain direction when Ordering  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Spar Cap question about grain direction when Ordering
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
In Leonard's material list all the cap strip dimensions have the larger dimension first and the smaller of the two listed second. I understand the grain direction shown on the plans show the grain to run horizontal with the 3/4 inch dimension. Most places that sell lumber like this will cut the first dimension to run with the grain which is backwards to Leonard's list. He shows for example a 7/8 X 3/4 X 154 inch cap strip. When Wicks cuts it the grain will run vertical because of the larger dimension listed first. It is no problem to reverse the numbers so that the grain will run horizontal but what about all the other listed material? is the grain direction important on the shorter lengths? In one case he lists a 5 inch X 3/4 X 36 inches long piece. The grain will run the 5 inch way. I am getting ready to order this and pick it up when ready and I sure hate to drive home with a bunch of expensive kindling. I sure could use some advice here. Thanks in advance!
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Spar Cap question about grain direction when Ordering
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »
In Leonard's material list all the cap strip dimensions have the larger dimension first and the smaller of the two listed second. I understand the grain direction shown on the plans show the grain to run horizontal with the 3/4 inch dimension. Most places that sell lumber like this will cut the smaller dimension to run with the grain which is backwards to Leonard's list. He shows for example a 7/8 X 3/4 X 154 inch cap strip. When Wicks cuts it the grain will run vertical because of the larger dimension listed first. It is no problem to reverse the numbers so that the grain will run horizontal but what about all the other listed material? is the grain direction important on the shorter lengths? In one case he lists a 5 inch X 3/4 X 36 inches long piece. The grain will run the 5 inch way. I am getting ready to order this and pick it up when ready and I sure hate to drive home with a bunch of expensive kindling. I sure could use some advice here. Thanks in advance!

(JohnB on the member list) maintains the Eagle materials lists...

Leonard's definitive answer on XL wood grain is here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EaglersNests/conversations/messages/31010

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Re: Spar Cap question about grain direction when Ordering
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
Thanks Steve,
        I will just order the material as it is called out on the list then.
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal