How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: BX-1000 Black Max fill plug ussue  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
BX-1000 Black Max fill plug ussue
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »
I am running this gear set up per Leonards plans on my XL which I am a week or 2 from firing up for the first time. I go to fill the fluid in the master and find I cannot get the fill plug out without taking the brake lever off.....Cannot be right?? I pulled it every way with the hex wrench trying to turn the plug. Not enough clearance....I have a call into the plant....

Anybody else see this,
Bob

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: BX-1000 Black Max fill plug ussue
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
Just take an extra hex wrench you have laying around and cut one leg short enough to fit between the lever and plug.

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »
Sam sorry  I was not too clear. I can get the wrench in and turn it ok but the back of the plug runs into the lever bottom before it is half way out. I am going to talk to the company before I grind off 1/16" off the lever bottom. 
Thanks. Bob

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
Does your lever look like this?

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
Yes Sam that is it, bought it last summer.  When mounted like yours when the lever is pulled back there is not enough clearance between the top fill plug and the side of the lever bottom...The screw plug runs up tight against the lever, no matter the lever position. cannot even back it 1/2 way out

Very odd.....
Bob

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
Yes Sam that is it, bought it last summer.  When mounted like yours when the lever is pulled back there is not enough clearance between the top fill plug and the side of the lever bottom...The screw plug runs up tight against the lever, no matter the lever position. cannot even back it 1/2 way out

Very odd.....
Bob
Sounds like you will need to remove the lever and relieve it enough for the plug to clear. Or maybe you can file enough clearance with the lever in place.

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
Sam,

Mystery solved, Black Max had a design change on the lever and an old one was sent on my master in error . They overnighted me one today.  Good people to work with. I am very impressed with this gear set up.

Thanks for the feedback, I am running your parking brake mod, very nice!,
Bob

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
Sam,

Mystery solved, Black Max had a design change on the lever and an old one was sent on my master in error . They overnighted me one today.  Good people to work with. I am very impressed with this gear set up.

Thanks for the feedback, I am running your parking brake mod, very nice!,
Bob
It's always good to find out we haven't lost our mind.......   ;)

Having the parking brake is almost reason enough to install the Black Max system. Don't attempt to leave home without it......  :)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal