How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL D 17  (Read 4115 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
XL D 17
« on: May 02, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »
My XL is on the main gear, seat, firewall, control stick, fairleads, paint, floor board, tail feathers ready to cover, and ribs are all built, and Ultra Vair is building my engine parts.  As soon as I have my Corvair case back I will start on my engine mount. Still need to build my spars and assemble the wings. Maybe by fall I can try her out.

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 34.0.1847.131 Chrome 34.0.1847.131
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
Re: XL D 17
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:37:08 AM »
Moving right along there, Gil.... Sounds like...
Great to hear your progress!

Didn't know UltraVair2 does all that work.....
That set you back a bunch??
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »
They have had some machine and health problems, but are on top of things now. I ordered the B package and they have been more than fair with me on the other work they are doing. I had a long phone conversation with them this past weekend and it sounds like they have some pretty innovative options in the works. They are already running a Vair with a 4 pound redrive with  poly belts, fuel injection , electronic ignition and alternator. Larger cylinders are also in the works. I would really be interested in the redrive, even if it took me out of the 103 range just because I like the idea of a STOL performer.  I'm pretty pumped, can't wait to get the rest of my engine built. I haven't had much luck finding anyone with the right machinery willing to take on my project. I will check locally for some one who can weld the aluminum I need done to my heads. I have a head, good for one engine conversion, for sale or trade. I also have a crankshaft with the number X81B that I can't find out what it is, but I personally took it out of a 1965 Corvair.  Sure would like to find out from someone the distance from the firewall to the rear of the engine for either the Vair or 1/2 VW on the XL  8)

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 34.0.1847.131 Chrome 34.0.1847.131
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »
I am in need of a head for a 1/3 'Vair....and way interested in that re-drive! Would those cylinders happen to be Aluminum with steel liners?? I have seen them....

Bob

Lemme know back channel (off the group list) of what you want for the head...
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal