How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Latex Fuel Resistance  (Read 2524 times)

Offline rfeenstra

• 2017 Donor
  • CabinBuilder
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
  • Eagle Type: DE w/Cabin Mod
Latex Fuel Resistance
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »
For those of you who have used latex to paint their aircraft, what have you done to protect the area around the filler neck from the effects of gasoline?  My preliminary tests have shown the latex to have poor fuel resistance.

Rob

Offline mmorrison123

• Noob
  • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.114 Chrome 35.0.1916.114
    • My Home Page
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Latex Fuel Resistance
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »
Rob,
I have 6 years of flying 2 airplanes that I painted with latex. I have spilled more fuel than I would like to admit on them, and the finishes have not been effected. I've done nothing to protect the paint aside from a coat of car wax. I did note a streak of discoloration from 2-cycle fuel mix that dripped down the side, but it came off with more wax.

Malcolm Morrison

Offline rfeenstra

• 2017 Donor
  • CabinBuilder
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
  • Eagle Type: DE w/Cabin Mod
Re: Latex Fuel Resistance
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »
Thanks Malcolm.  i tested a scrap piece that was painted about a month ago and was waxed with car polish.  In a matter of 2 seconds, gas turned the surface paint to goo.  I hope I just need to let the paint cure for a couple more months, or use a different wax.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal