How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: DF spar cap  (Read 2562 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
DF spar cap
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
I have no way of accurately  testing my DF spar caps.  I did do something that gave me some personal reassurance my spar caps are strong enough for my XL
I took an 8"  long 3/4 x 1" piece centered it under my Crew Cab 3/4 ton GMC truck which has an empty weight over 6 thousand pounds. I placed the bottle jack just to the rear of my front wheel and started jacking up the truck. The front wheel was almost free of the pavement when the Doug Fur separated and bent It on the bottom edge, but did not break into. the wood was severely compressed on each end where it was laying on the bricks. I was very careful to make sure the bricks were not directly under the jack where the wood would only see a compression load.  I don't know how much force that was, but I'm confident in my own mind it is more load than my wing will ever see, and it was only one inch thickness of DF. The wing front spar will be 1 7/8" with webbing, bracing and other structural works. 8)  I plan on doing a similar test with a longer piece of wood, maybe a 15" length. The bottom of my bottle jack is around 3" wide.

Offline colinc

Re: DF spar cap
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
Hi,

You can do it a bit more scientifically with just a spring balance. There is a good article here:

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
Re: DF spar cap
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
sorry, but I don't see the article

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal