How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Lightweight Floorboard. What did y'all do?  (Read 2501 times)

Gabe

Lightweight Floorboard. What did y'all do?
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:44:14 PM »
I just poked so many holes in my floor board that I'll probably fall through it. What are some crazy ways that you crazy guys shave weight off your build?

Offline rockiedog2

• 2014 Donor
  • Joe Spencer
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 30.0 Firefox 30.0
Re: Lightweight Floorboard. What did y'all do?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:15:17 PM »
no real need for a full floorboard on the single seaters. just a couple small pieces of ply for heel rests(i used 1/8 with a little reinforcement) or you can use .016 aluminum and cover an area about half the floor area right behind the rudder pedals; just break the edges and add a few light stiffners.
full ply floorboards are one of the most common and heaviest of the unneeded items that get put in Eagles...guys usually use 1/4" too. way too heavy. the DE probaly needs a full floorboard or at least a pretty big one so the pax won't step thru the fabric. Leonard uses .016 aluminum for his

Offline Murray Randall

• 2015 Donor
  • Murray
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 30.0 Firefox 30.0
  • Eagle Type: Cabin mod XL
Re: Lightweight Floorboard. What did y'all do?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:41:46 AM »
Here's a pic of my .020 alum floor board with 3/16 beads rolled in attached with MANY tabs. (I'll count em if you want)   The beads really did not stiffen it much.   OK the alum is heavier than I want but I do not intend to fabric under it.  It is strong enough to take any reasonable stomping and entry exit leg loads.  I riveted two pieces together as I did not have big enough piece.
Cabin Mod to XL

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal