How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: cracked cases  (Read 2944 times)

Offline riorex2002

• Noob
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.155 Chrome 35.0.1916.155
cracked cases
« on: July 21, 2014, 12:52:46 PM »
Am looking for a core engine but am worried about the history of these engines having cracked cases.The examples i have seen so far are, as removed,and in a dirty state.If i knew the approximate area's to look at i  may have a better chance to obtain a usable one.if any one of you has had trouble in this area i would like to hear the details.
Rio vista

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
Re: cracked cases
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
The area to look for is in top of case, in the rear of case, can happen in front also, but as i understand more likely in rear of case.  they show up as hairlines but if you heat them with a propane torch will show up better.  Something to think about though is if we are using only the two front jugs and front of case, what are a few cracks on the rear area going to hurt.  I would be more interested in front of case being in good shape.
Les Homan

Offline riorex2002

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:04:42 AM »
thanks Les but a prospective seller may be a little upset if I show up with a propane torch prior to paying for it,more so if I set the thing allight but you have answered my question about the area to look at.If I find a crack that goes across the bell housing flange,it may be a junker.
Rex
Rio vista

Offline Sam Buchanan

• Beta testers
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
I don't recall which engine you want to build, but I don't see the value of a donor engine.

There aren't any parts from an old Beetle engine that I would want in my AIRCRAFT engine. For the most reliable engine you need new case, crank, rods, pistons, cylinders, cam, head assemblies, oil pump, pushrod, etc, etc. All VW parts are available new at reasonable prices.

Save aggravation (and $$$$'s in the long run) and buy a new engine or kit from one of the proven vendors. Don't cut corners on the noisy thing that keeps the fan blowing......   :)

Offline riorex2002

• Noob
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.155 Chrome 35.0.1916.155
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 04:37:20 PM »
Sam,i understand what you are talking about but part of the fun and satisfaction in this hobby is incorporating idea's of your own,not just saving money..designing the plane should be left to people who know what they are dolng,but the engine does leave room to experiment.As you say,i expect i will end up buying most of the parts,i don't have machine shop access.I do have engine experience though,spent my apprenticeship with the De Havilland engine co,the rest of my misspent life with aircraft,industrial,engines,plus R&D on motorcycle production & racing engines..Now retired with lots of time,little money.The 1/2 VW engine seems a prime subject to play with.This is my 4th home build but am getting a bit old to fly,Will see.PS love your vidio's,keep posting them.
Rex  

shop access but i do have engine experience both aircraft and industrial plus a a lot of time in motor cycle production and racing R&D..Even did my apprenticeship with an aircraft engine company.am now well retired with a lot of time to play so think the 1/2 VW is a good candidate.PS,love your vidio's.Keep them going
Rio vista

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal