How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: seal coat for wing  (Read 3165 times)

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
seal coat for wing
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:25:57 AM »
I am getting ready to seal coat the wood for my first wing and I am a first time builder so I have a few questions.

Is it appropriate to use a hardware store water based polyurethane, if not what would be correct?

What areas do I need to tape off so I can get a good bond with the fabric?

Offline Sam Buchanan

Re: seal coat for wing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
I am getting ready to seal coat the wood for my first wing and I am a first time builder so I have a few questions.

Is it appropriate to use a hardware store water based polyurethane, if not what would be correct?

What areas do I need to tape off so I can get a good bond with the fabric?
Nate, I used an oil-based varnish from a local source, water-based might work fine. No need to varnish the edge of the ribs where the fabric will glue or the entire leading edge. No need for elaborate taping, just lightly sand off any varnish that gets on the caps or leading edge. Our planes aren't stored outside so the main reason for sealing is to keep moisture in the wood.

If you use a two-part varnish such as PolyFiber you can coat the entire wing because the fabric glue won't dissolve it.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal