How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: New video of the slug arrival at AirVenture 2014  (Read 5243 times)

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
New video of the slug arrival at AirVenture 2014
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »

The audio is not very good. It sounds like the engine is missing but it is running smooth and strong.

Scott J.

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: New video of the slug arrival at AirVenture 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:30:48 AM »
Scott, great vid.  I saw you come in.  Sort of surprised since it had been so windy all day, and still was.  I could see you had to work it all the way.

You say early in the video, entering for NW landing of ultralight field.  Made me think, I don't ever recall seeing the strip used in the SE direction.  I know winds seem to always favor the NW RW, but, is it ever used SE?

Forgot to ask you, how are the over-sized wheels working for you?  They look good and give the airplane a good stance.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:34:18 AM »
Tom,

Yep they do use the SE runway when the winds favor it. Seems the  prevailing winds really seem to shift during the day. The spotters like to use what ever  runway that keeps them from looking In to the sun.  (morning/evening) Both directions are good as far as flying the pattern. SE is down hill, better on hot days, ask Spencer about his climb performance on a 5800 density altitude day going uphill on the NW runway. No issues now with his monster motor though I'm sure.

The wheels seem to be holding up well so far. The U/L runways are pretty bumpy and they bounced around a little. My buddy with the B1RD says he kind of ground looped his a while back and the wheels bent a little but came back into shape and has been flying them for 2-1/2 years. I'm still pretty cautious with them because they are so tall. Yep, I like em so far.

Scott J.

Offline gerrynolan

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 21.0.1180.0 Chrome 21.0.1180.0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
Thanks for the great video. What headset/helmet did you have in use? It looks ideal for the LE. Thanks again.

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
Jerry,

It's a skiers service helmet that I modified by tearing apart an old Telex headset and mounting it in the helmet. I'll look for the box it came in. Don't remember the name but says "KR" on the front and rear of the helmet.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »
Jerry,

It's a skiers service helmet that I modified by tearing apart an old Telex headset and mounting it in the helmet. I'll look for the box it came in. Don't remember the name but says "KR" on the front and rear of the helmet.
Something like this?

http://www.the-house.com/ski-helmets-k2.html

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »
Sam,

Very Close to what I have. Mine is about 7 years old now so what you show is most likely the new and improved edition. I thought it said KR but must have been a K2. I tried a search for the KR and nothing came up so I bet you're correct.

Scott J.

Scott

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
Scott
I thought i had gotten a little of your landing and roll out but cannot find it on my camera.  Had a great time.
Les Homan

Offline riorex2002

• Noob
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.138 Chrome 36.0.1985.138
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:01:03 PM »
scott.
Great vidio,thanks.While i have you in my sights,is that thing you have on the front of your prop hub a spinner back plate or one of those liquid balance gismose.If its for balance.does it work?
Rex
Rio vista

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Browser:
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
Rex,
It's a prop master balancer from Aircraft Spruce. Yes it works but is really not designed to balance the crank if you have a lot of shake. It does help though. Looks bad.... It is suppose to be mounted on the back side of the prop between the prop hub flange and the back side of the prop. I had to modify it just a bit for the hole spacing. No big deal though. I'm not happy with my Tennessee prop or their support. MY first Tennessee was really nice. Should have waited for a Frank Johnson Performance prop. That's what you get for being impatient.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/engblncmstr2.php

Offline riorex2002

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 08:07:53 AM »
Thanks Scott.Have often looked at those units,Had them once on an old car ,I think I obtained them from J C Witney,they were cheap then and I think filled with lead shot.In the back of my mind I have thought of fitting them to both the back of the cut off crank shaft and the back of the prop flange.This should give a balanced crank in both planes.Its just a thought and probably cost too much.Has any body ever tried this
Rex
Rio vista

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal