How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: gils xl  (Read 6775 times)

Offline grdev

gils xl
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:59:40 AM »
Ribs are all done now, but it is a little to cold in the basement to start on the fuselage, maybe tomorrow.
 I'm a little low on propane and propane has doubled in price this last week!

Offline grdev

Re: gils xl
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »
one more photo

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:13:28 AM »
Gil,

That is a interesting way to build your but rib and tip ribs. Not a bad idea. I thought it would have been easier to build them in place though. They look good...

Scott.

Offline grdev

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »
Scott the main reason I built the end ribs that way was because of all the trouble I had building my DE and getting my ailerons to line up properly. I thought this way I can match my end aileron ribs with the rib with the other aileron block and drill them at the same time ensuring the alignment is the same through out the wings.  I will glue the other aileron blocks to match my already drilled holes in the  end aileron ribs and the1/4" stock glued to the inside rib.
Hope that makes sense. With the root end ribs I thought it would be easier to notch them for the wing brackets. I'm also thinking about using an aluminum trailing edge they sell at Wag Aero for the Wag A bonds. A friend of mine is planning to build his XL with an aluminum leading edge like the Wags as well. I'm still thinking about that one. The glued ply leading edge sure makes for a strong wing.  One thing though, when I set my washout on my DE I encountered some dimpling in my lending edge. I'm told if I raise my rear spar at the end by about 7/8" for washout and then apply the leading edge they won't dimple.

Offline grdev

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
got my bottom longerons laid out, bent and tack welded at stations 2&3. will start cutting the rest of the cross pieces tomorrow.
I need to buy a new angle grinder for this project. Lowes has a Skill 4 1/2" for thirty dollars, maybe it will last for one fuselage.
I found a way of finding centers on the tubing with out a jig. I'm sure it isn't a new idea, but simple and it works. Take a wide tip felt pen and draw a line close to the center on both sides of the tube. Clamp the pipe on you bench so it can't rotate. Next take a square and push it up against the tube and square with the bench top. Just drag the square holding it firmly on the bench top and against the tube. It will scribe a small line in the ink from the marker, dead center every time. do the same on the other side of the tube and both sides are then marked 180

Offline Sparrow

• Sparrow
  • 2015 Donor
  • Building
  • Eagle Type: LE XL # D-21
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
Hi Gil,

Have you watched the fuselage buils series on Youtube?  I enjoyed it and found many great ideas there.  There are 65 videos to completion.

Go to youtube.com and paste this into the search bar.  It should take you to video #1.

Legal Eagle Ultralight construction video #1

Hope this is helpful,

Sparrow
John Leake
1409 Briarwood Dr.
Blacksburg, VA, USA
11leake11@gmail.com
Plans arrived Dec. 2013
LE XL-D-21

Offline grdev

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »
Yes I watched everything I could find on the eagles. This being my second plane by Leonard I have a few ideas of my own.  There is some real good information out there, I plan to read and look at everything I can find regarding  Leonard's designs. I really like the idea of pulling a string along the centerline of the tube, I thought  my longerons were straight until I ran the string, now they are straight!
Have all the cross tubes in the aft  section and tacked, this afternoon I'll start on the diagonals.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »
Well I'm back at my XL again after a break for most of the summer. Picked up my spar webbing at Wicks Aircraft this morning, and my magneto for my Ultra Vair engine came in the mail. Earlier in the week my Eko Bond also arrived and My engine is being machined. All of my new Corvair engine parts should be here next week

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal