How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: OSH 2015?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline stevejahr

• Still dreamin'
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.103 Chrome 37.0.2062.103
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
OSH 2015?
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
Never been to OSH.  But going at least once is on the bucket list.  Living on the west coast means going will not be a small trivial trip, but then it also says to go for the whole week.  This is probably going to take some advance planning.  So I am seeking suggestions on how to crack this nut from those who have BTDT and have the T-shirt.

Drive (3+ days each way)?  Fly commercial (how to connect to OSH)?  Fly sharing expenses (how to connect to pilot/plane)?
Camp?  Stay in one of the college dorms?  Other?
Getting around at the show: do you need more than sneakers (car/bike/?)?

As background I have attended two Boy Scout National Jamboree's as an adult leader.  So I have some experience with getting together with 30-40 thousand close friends and creating an instant city for a week and then all leaving it the way we found it (more or less).  I have tried "ambient" showers but did not care for them much.  I have walked miles and miles every day.  I have survived Virginia and West Virginia thunderstorms.  With a solar charger I can live off the grid (but not off the 'net).  Sleeping on a cot is a lot better than sleeping on the ground.  A week away from home pretty much means doing laundry... either in a machine or in a bucket.  And I am crazy enough that I did it more than once and would probably do it again.

I figure we can get into strategies to "take in" the experience later or in another thread.

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
Re: OSH 2015?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
If you like to camp, tent, camper, etc, camp schooler is a good bet. Close to action, showers, camp stores and easy to get in and out for trips to restaurants or other activities. I drove in 3 days coming home to Northern California.  My route to oshkosh was thru kansas so took longer.   First trip to oshkosh allow as much time as possible , you cannot see it all in a week unless you just walk by and say there it is.  If you like to read, talk to , learn it is immense and the activities go from early morning to 10:00 at night if you like good music or listening to interesting speakers
Les Homan

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.111 Chrome 38.0.2125.111
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Totally agree with Les, You need to take time, This year was my first time and i walked around from 7:30 am to 8:00pm for 7 seven days . My feet still know it and i did not even get to the seaplane base. Too busy pestring people about Legal Eagles ! There is some great planning tools on the EAA website. If you have a smart phone with roaming their App is also great.

Can't offer an opinion on camping but I stayed at the College dorms and for what you get the price is great. Nothin Fancy just an old fashioned Dorm , clean room and showers and walking distance for a feed. But book early as they fill up fast.

I came from Australia. Flew Gold Coast/Sydney/LAX/ORD/ APT (Appleton). Appleton is the nearest connection to Oshkosh via Chicago and you can get a cab to the Field or Uni.

Oshkosh was the most amazing life experience that i have had, I too had been wanting to go since being a kid. Just do it you wont regret it. I met some of the nicest folks on the planet. Most of them on this Forum.

I cant wait to get back, hoping to get there for 2015 :)

Offline Mike Gracey

• Beta testers
  • Legal eagle XL
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:46:36 PM »
You must get there.

Enough said

Offline stevejahr

• Still dreamin'
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.111 Chrome 38.0.2125.111
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »
Thanks for the replys...

With respect to the "just go" messages: Yup, got that and you are singing to the choir 8)
I also understand that it will not be possible to see it all and going for less than a week is silly.  Coming from the Sacramento, CA area it only makes sense to spend as much time at OSH as getting to OSH.

I have wondered about putting in a half day or full day working as a volunteer.  In my experience this is a great way to really meet people.

Thanks Les you confirmed pretty much all of my thoughts about camping "onsite".  More time to meet and talk to more people.  More stuff to participate in.  And it does not sound like the camping is too bad.  While showers have been mentioned, I have to ask if they are warm or cold?  I do rather like hot water for a shower.  At Jambo 2010 the neighboring subcamp had a real shower building but there were more showers than hot water.  I did get one nice warm beautiful shower... at 2:00 AM ;D  At Jambo 2013 we all brought solar shower bags.  Probably biggest potential downside to camping is if it rains (too much).  That is just not something we have to deal with in the summer in California.

Thanks ParQld you confirmed pretty much what I thought about the dorm option.  Real bed.  Real showers.  It does not rain in the dorms.  And I expect a lot of walking so no problem there.  Thanks for the tip on the phone app :)

So I guess what I am hearing is there is no bad way to do OSH.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal