How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: how large construction space needed  (Read 5455 times)

Offline SouthernPA

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
how large construction space needed
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:45:01 AM »
This is my first post so thanks for any reponses.  What is the least size garage i can have and build a single place Legal Eagle?  I might need to upgrade garages!  I only have about 15 feet long by 8 feet wide.

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 18.0.1025.308 Chrome 18.0.1025.308
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: how large construction space needed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

You can build the components but you'll have to store them elsewhere as they are completed. It'll be tight, but worth it.
Frank

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.93 Chrome 40.0.2214.93
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »
Hopefully you can empty the 8x15 garage out.  All tail components could hang on the rear wall, your wings on one side. 
May I suggest two tables 30 x 84 each that will give you a short wide one when combined for tail work and a nice 14 foot  table for wing work( both spars will sit on a 30" table but you will have the nose ribs and rib tails hanging in space) and fuselage.
 Maybe your length could be cut down a little like two 80 inch long tables.  Thankfully good weather will be coming your way as it seems your work  may enjoy an open door so you don't have to crawl under the table. Perhaps a diagonal  (corner to corner) would work better. Start your tail pieces they do not require good weather and take the least space for storage. Your ribs can start inside at your pleasure.  Protect your wings during storage from the dirt of the fuselage work.  think about sparks from grinding and those sparks from welding that should not occur (error) but sometime do.
Good luck 
gotta run
Tom XL-7

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
I built my first eagle in 1/2 of 2 car garage. the other side was packed, it took a little more time but is very do-able.
Les Homan

Offline SouthernPA

• Noob
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.96 Chrome 39.0.2171.96
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I think I can make it work generally, although I will need more space for storage, etc.  I really like the design of the LE and have chosen that as my first homebuilt.  Will order plans now.

Offline mkj1928

• 2015 Donor
  • Noob
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.94 Chrome 40.0.2214.94
  • Eagle Type: LE # 31-N
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »
You can absolutely make it work. I know a guy who built over 1/2 of a Pitts biplane in the truck of his car on his lunch break. It's amazing what you can accomplish if you are motivated. Lots of guys build full airplanes in the back yard under a tarp. Don't ever let something like "space" stop or deter you.

I'm currently building the tail group on my kitchen table. Start by building all he small pieces you can like fittings, ribs etc. By the times those are done you'll have worked out a plan for the rest of it. Once the wife gets use to it you can even build parts in the living room. ;D

Mike

Offline SouthernPA

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 01:29:02 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I agree that if you want to build a plane and focus on that, you will work out the details.  Especially with a plane like the Eagle, which looks to me like the design I've been waiting for!

Offline Kevin N.

• Drifter/Derelict
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.93 Chrome 40.0.2214.93
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »
I built wing ribs for my pitts in navy enlisted barracks. My dad would pre cut a lot of material but I did all the rib building sitting on a footlocker with the rib jig on my rack. When everybody else was getting moms brownies and other care packages from home I was getting tubes of capstrip and boxes of plywood. You can easily build in the space you have. I had to mail all the parts back home when I deployed but at least it kept me off bar stools. Its all in the desire, building an airplane is very therapeutic.
XL

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal