How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Float plane  (Read 10702 times)

Offline Pradeep ks achary

• Donor 2024
  • Xl Building
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
  • Eagle Type: LE XL C95
Float plane
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:47:42 AM »
Hi All, is there any float plane under Legal Eagle XL ?

If some one  flying with float plane can they please  up load the video ?

How can I get the drawing for the above 

Regards
Pradeep

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 34.0 Firefox 34.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Float plane
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 18.0.1025.308 Chrome 18.0.1025.308
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 09:00:21 AM »
Here is a link to an interesting article Sam has on his XL website.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/legaleagleXL/floats-article.htm
Frank

Offline aeroplain2003

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: LEU
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 08:49:18 AM »
Being in the land of 10,000 lakes, I've dreamed of this, but at the rate I'm going the Flux Capacitor will have been invented and there will be no need. :-[   I saw a Heath Parasol at Osh some years back on floats so I'm certain that the LE would do just fine, in fact, I'm surprised it hasn't been done already.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
I can't see the direct-drive 1/2 VW having near enough thrust to drag along a set of floats, much less take off from calm water.....

A DE with re-drive on the other hand......

Offline aeroplain2003

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
You're probably be right.
I can't see the direct-drive 1/2 VW having near enough thrust to drag along a set of floats, much less take off from calm water.....

A DE with re-drive on the other hand......

Offline aeroplain2003

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »
Seems a 37hp does have enough thrust, or am I missing something? I actually have no idea, just hopeful.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/aeronca-flyingbathtub.html

By 1931, most light aircraft had two seats rather than one. Airplane owners naturally wanted to share the pleasures of flight, and even more important was the fact that a second seat was necessary if the plane was to be used for flight instruction. In order not to lose its lead in the field, the Aeronautical Corporation of America set about developing the C-3, a larger version of the C-2 with seating for two side by side. Power was to be provided by the new Aeronca E-113 engine of 36 hp. Two prototype C-3s were put through extensive tests in 1930 and production started in March of the following year.

Aeroncas were also offered as seaplanes after the first fifty C-2s had rolled out the factory door. The single and two-seat versions were designated PC-2 and PC-3, respectively, the "P" standing for pontoon. Floats were manufactured by Warner; Aircraft Products Corporation; and the Edo Corporation of Long Island, New York. Edo was the largest supplier and also offer their Model D-990 and D-1070 floats as a conversion kit for wheeled Aeronca at a price of $750 The year 1932 saw the introduction of detachable cockpit doors with inset windows. "

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »
Seems a 37hp does have enough thrust, or am I missing something? I actually have no idea, just hopeful.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/aeronca-flyingbathtub.html

By 1931, most light aircraft had two seats rather than one. Airplane owners naturally wanted to share the pleasures of flight, and even more important was the fact that a second seat was necessary if the plane was to be used for flight instruction. In order not to lose its lead in the field, the Aeronautical Corporation of America set about developing the C-3, a larger version of the C-2 with seating for two side by side. Power was to be provided by the new Aeronca E-113 engine of 36 hp. Two prototype C-3s were put through extensive tests in 1930 and production started in March of the following year.

Aeroncas were also offered as seaplanes after the first fifty C-2s had rolled out the factory door. The single and two-seat versions were designated PC-2 and PC-3, respectively, the "P" standing for pontoon. Floats were manufactured by Warner; Aircraft Products Corporation; and the Edo Corporation of Long Island, New York. Edo was the largest supplier and also offer their Model D-990 and D-1070 floats as a conversion kit for wheeled Aeronca at a price of $750 The year 1932 saw the introduction of detachable cockpit doors with inset windows. "
What you are missing is the rpm at which rated power is produced. The E-113 produced 36 hp @ 2500 rpm. The 1/2 VW produces 37hp @ 3600 rpm.

What's the big deal? The big deal is the diameter of the prop that can be swung by each engine. The lower rpm engine can swing a much larger diameter prop which produces considerably more thrust than the small diameter prop on the little screamer. Prop rpm is limited by tip speed, the smaller the prop, the higher the tip speed. Once tip speed approaches 80-90% of MACH 1 efficiency drops off and drag increases.

That is why I suggested a re-drive engine. The engine can develop high rpm for max power, but prop rpm is lower due to the re-drive. This allows a larger, higher thrust prop to be used. The Aeronca would have used a larger diameter prop than a direct-drive Legal Eagle due to its engine developing rated power at a lower rpm.

Hope this makes sense.

PropMan can provide much better info in this regard if more clarification is needed. He builds props for a living.  :)

Offline aeroplain2003

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 09:09:31 PM »
I suspected I was missing something. Yes it makes sense. I also suspect "The Flying Bathtubs" were still under powered the more I think about it; doesn't seem to have caught on in aircraft as small as they were, or the LE.
Thanks, Kent

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 06:24:11 AM »
I've seen a C-3 fly. There was one based at a grass field near me ~20 years ago (don't know where it is now) and I happened to be at the field when it was brought out one day. It started up nicely and a youthful pilot made several laps around the field. No doubt it was the strangest looking aircraft I've ever seen, but the little engine sounded good.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal