How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Black Max Wheels  (Read 18414 times)

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
Re: Black Max Wheels
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »
I was originally going to use the 6" nylon wheels. Bought a pair, very heavy, they go round and round good and would work with no breaks or their drum drum brakes but I made a set of bicycle disk brakes for them.  As you tighten the bolts in nylon wheel it changes shape.
Les Homan

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
I was originally going to use the 6" nylon wheels. Bought a pair, very heavy, they go round and round good and would work with no breaks or their drum drum brakes but I made a set of bicycle disk brakes for them.  As you tighten the bolts in nylon wheel it changes shape.
Thanks for the pirep, Les, that will be useful for future builders.

I realize the Eagles are designed on the premise of enabling us to fly on the cheap. The temptation is strong to look for the most inexpensive components and build techniques available in order to meet a very limited budget. But I think those who have actually flown Eagles will agree that there are times when it is necessary to spend whatever bucks is necessary in order to have a safe and functional aircraft. If the budget doesn't exist for safe and functional components...then the decision to build an aircraft probably needs to be revisited. Cheap ain't the best option when 500' AGL over the trees or when transitioning a flying machine back to an earthbound craft.

Buy good stuff once and enjoy it, or cheap stuff and either hate it or replace it. This applies particularly to wheels, brakes, wing spars, AN hardware, and engines.

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
Thanks Les- Great info for us. Sam- I agree 100%.
I was leanin heavy to the Black max anyhow. That's done!
Now I got the wheels and tires settled I find another tire, Turf-Glide tundra tire. A bit taller  and heaver than the Turf Saver, but may be useful in rough fields.

Offline lake_harley

• Noob
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »
 As you tighten the bolts in nylon wheel it changes shape.
Interesting.....In what way or direction did you notice distortion? I guess you're refering to Azusalite reinforced "plastic" wheels, right?

Thanks!

Lynn

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »
They woggle side to side.  As bolts tightened various amounts side ti side not good.
Les Homan

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »
A "friend" gave me three sets of Azulite wheels that are totally wasted. The 'rim' had cracked from the hub and about 50-60% has separated. Seems they don't like side loads.... I believe they were used on a heavy Mini-Max or similar aircraft. I want a set of Black Max but can't substantiate $450!! The Huffy's are working well for now.....
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal