How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Need help with "scrounging"  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Joshadurham

• Noob
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.94 Chrome 40.0.2214.94
Need help with "scrounging"
« on: February 28, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »
I'm in the "shopping phase" and wondering what major materials can possibly be sourced locally? I live in east TX. Canton to be specific.  I already have the engine, and know how to get the parts for it.  What about fuselage steel, aluminum, etc? Is aircraft spruce, and Wicks the only option?  I am building the small cheap parts of the XL first since im busy finishing my CFI rating and being young and broke and such.  I already have the shop space, and all the tools required.  Just curious if theres a trick to finding deals on material.  

Thanks! 
Josh

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.115 Chrome 40.0.2214.115
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: Need help with "scrounging"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
Josh, Welcome to the group.
Aircraft Spruce has become my go to for materials other than the Spruce, I found that in Houston at Clarks Hardwoods. bought it rough and cut to size( got enough for two sets of wings for 300.00 and 50.00 worth of diesel). Try the local EAA chapter. Found tires on Amazon and a few things at Tractor supply, Home Depot and Lowes. Good luck with the build and your CFI
Frank

Offline Joshadurham

• Noob
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.94 Chrome 40.0.2214.94
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  
Thats good to know.  I guess youre talking every part of the wing? cap strips, spars, gussets, etc? I actually never thought about doing that.  I have a full woodworking setup so thats something to think about.  From what I've been reading and hearing from builders, I'll be interested in one of your props if youre still selling them.  Do you have one designed for an XL running a 32hp 1/2vw? One more question and ill leave you alone.  Do you go to Reklaw? I just moved to east TX recently and last year was my first time to go.  I was glad there was at least one legal eagle there.  Leonard said there would be more this year.  

Thanks,
Josh

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.115 Chrome 40.0.2214.115
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:58:13 AM »
If you have a jointer, planer, table saw and a miter or chop saw you can easily turn rough Spruce into the parts for the wings, not sure how many dollars it saves tho. Just make sure you can select the wood and find a nice tight vertical grain. 

Yes, the prop is not a problem, and i'll be making them for years to come. Just make sure you plan ahead, i'm usually 3-4 months out on deliveries.

I've been enjoin Reklaw for a few years now, usually spend a night of two, Great fun and Great people.

If you get down my way youre welcome to visit.
Frank

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal