How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: A disguized treasure . . .  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
A disguized treasure . . .
« on: February 20, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »
Occasionally I look thru the For Sale Postings and was amazed to see Bill Utt's engine still available...

This engine drives the prop from the flywheel end and thus differs from the Milholland plans - under ordinary circumstances this would be a negative but the engine is offered with a mount included that bolts up to the DE firewall...

Looking at the GPAS engine line, the engine is considered to be the lightest version of the Vw with e-start - 155 lbs without exhausts... That's maybe 10 lbs more than Leonard's bare bones 1835 in the prototype... Further, Bill Utt brought a life time of engine tuning experience to this engine build and it shows when it turns a 62x30 prop 3100 rpm static - believe me that is one gutsy 1835...

This engine has been run past the normal crib death period with 15 hours on the Hobbs meter and it has all the HVX mods which add durability thru better lubrication and lower temps to a Type 1 motor...

If you are not an engine centered guy and building the DE, considering this engine at the modest asking price of $3500 (prop, engine and engine mount) is a deal you will not regret...

Just say'n,
Steve

Offline docmatt

• doc matt
  • 2015 Donor
  • DE E-04 under construction
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
  • Eagle Type: DE
Re: A disguized treasure . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »
I would buy it myself, if i didn't think my wife would kill me for buying a third engine for a plane that is so far, just the skeleton of one wing and a pile of wooden parts.  Somebody will get a great deal.
doc matt
DE E-04 under construction
Mineral Point, WI

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal