How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: 3D Printing  (Read 5628 times)

Offline Jethack737

• Mac OS X 10.10 Mac OS X 10.10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 38.0 Firefox 38.0
  • Eagle Type: Building XL
3D Printing
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:16:20 PM »
Just wondered if anybody had considered 3D printing for parts like nose ribs and aileron nose ribs? I don't know much about 3D printing, cost or otherwise, but for parts like these that don't have much stress on them, it seems like it may be an option. I guess they could be printed in ABS plastic or possibly other materials. I don't know how it would compare in weight, but that might be a consideration also.
Anybody have any thought or opinions on that?
Rick

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: 3D Printing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 04:39:31 AM »
I have not thought about it but from your post I see a problem that of course can be worked around. You mention ABS plastic. It does not play well will the adhesives most builders use - Epoxy; like t-88 and some people use Titebond. Neither of these will stick to ABS.  One could use one of the solvent glues that plumbers use. I haven't tried it but I imagine it would stick to wood, I know it sticks to clothing, people, tools, floors, ladders, and everything else it touches. 
 I think a bigger question may be why. The thin plywoods cut quick enough for the home builder. A template works quickly with a router or trace a line and use a band saw, Jig saw or hand held scroll saw. If production quantities is your goal you can work stacks or I imagine they cold be die cut with a press ( think old school balsa airplane kits) or if you need millions a die roller. Crank em out like newspapers.
  That said if it is something you want to try and can get access to the printer and programming go have fun. Who knows where it would lead.
Tom XL-7

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.6 Safari 6.1.6
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 05:30:15 AM »
Tom covered this well already with the very true, “they just won’t stick” problem.  But to dive further, in general the place where 3-D printing shines in areas of prototype work and parts that are very hard to make such as those having compound curves and the like.

The Eagle series of aircraft have none of those kinds of parts.

Cost- even if you had your own printer- rules out these parts as well, as the ones  you mentions are good in number.

Of course set up time comes to play as well,  just saying’

And lastly, but most importantly. the strength to weight factor, you just won’t overcome the ratio that wood offers, unless you jump to the also expensive carbon fiber.

But thinking about new ideas is always  a positive in aircraft building.

Best of success.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Jethack737

• Mac OS X 10.10 Mac OS X 10.10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 38.0 Firefox 38.0
  • Eagle Type: Building XL
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 06:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the comments. Like I said, I don't know much about 3D printing, but just thought I would throw it out there.
Rick

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »
NOW if you could employ a LASER to the 3D you might be able to cut some parts........
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Fritz

• Beta testers
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.152 Chrome 42.0.2311.152
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
A CNC router might be a more practical option.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal