How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Tail Surface Hinges  (Read 5660 times)

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • Joe's CNC
Tail Surface Hinges
« on: February 27, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has used this style of hinge, It is on a two seater quicksilver i fly or should i say learning to fly and many other ultralight i see. Obviously not with all the washers as shown in picture.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 44.0 Firefox 44.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Tail Surface Hinges
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has used this style of hinge, It is on a two seater quicksilver i fly or should i say learning to fly and many other ultralight i see. Obviously not with all the washers as shown in picture.

There must be some safety measures omitted at this stage of construction... What keeps it from rotating 90 degrees and locking up the control?... In the early versions of the LE rudder Leonard staked the bolt to rule out the in-use rotation and lockup...

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »

There must be some safety measures omitted at this stage of construction... What keeps it from rotating 90 degrees and locking up the control?... In the early versions of the LE rudder Leonard staked the bolt to rule out the in-use rotation and lockup...

Ok, I see exactly what you are talking about, in the straight position it could rotate.

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.116 Chrome 48.0.2564.116
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 07:38:41 PM »
THESE are the hinges that Robert Aberlee (Aerodrome Airplanes) sells with his kits... These are on a Sopwith Pup rudder.. Same is used on the elevator. See how the hinge pin is supported on two ends on the vertical post/spar and one on the rudder...  I would have loved to had these for my LE when I was building.  I made mine from steel tube welded but hinge pin is only supported on one side (I think)
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.116 Chrome 48.0.2564.116
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 06:54:00 AM »
THESE are the hinges that Robert Aberlee (Aerodrome Airplanes) sells with his kits... These are on a Sopwith Pup rudder.. Same is used on the elevator. See how the hinge pin is supported on two ends on the vertical post/spar and one on the rudder...  I would have loved to had these for my LE when I was building.  I made mine from steel tube welded but hinge pin is only supported on one side (I think)

Hi Bob,
If you made your hinges the welded way, and put three small ones on, 2 fore and one aft, or vise versa, the hinge pin would be supported exactly the same way.  I am not saying the Aerodrome way is wrong, just saying we can duplicate the method easily. 

Best of success.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal