How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: DE SPAR SPLICING.... think I've screwed up... help!  (Read 13977 times)

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
Re: DE SPAR SPLICING.... think I've screwed up... help!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »
Comments sought:    Concerning spar caps being tapered at outboard ends.    Finished scarf joints and getting ready to splice them together.  Having noticed the out'd spar cap tapers e-mailed Mr. Milholland concerning that feature.   His reply is that it saves weight.   Am thinking of not tapering those sticks thinking it would contribute a little more to spar/wing overall strength.    Would appreciate your thoughts.    Working hard and slow!    Best wishes.   John Reinking
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.80 Chrome 46.0.2490.80
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: DE SPAR SPLICING.... think I've screwed up... help!
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »
Comments sought:    Concerning spar caps being tapered at outboard ends.    Finished scarf joints and getting ready to splice them together.  Having noticed the out'd spar cap tapers e-mailed Mr. Milholland concerning that feature.   His reply is that it saves weight.   Am thinking of not tapering those sticks thinking it would contribute a little more to spar/wing overall strength.    Would appreciate your thoughts.    Working hard and slow!    Best wishes.   John Reinking

John,
  •     you mentioned scarf joints- spar caps? most use full length spruce for spar caps (top and bottom) but done correctly your scarf joints will be good enough for sure.
  • If your saying you did not taper, this also good enough, it was done to save weight, but I gather many did not make the tapers.  So your fine there too.
  • as for adding strength, while this maybe true, it would be doing so where you don't need additional strength, so I wouldn't consider this as a gain or loss.. Just a point to move on. No harm, no foul.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal