How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Legal Eagle Short Landing and loads on landing gear  (Read 4087 times)

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
Legal Eagle Short Landing and loads on landing gear
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »
At the end of this video is a short landing with interesting view of landing gear flex when it hits hard.  the landing gear main legs are 3/4" x .049 and they still bend a considerable amount.  I do not have the spring landing gear as called out in plans but in the process of adding it.  I have already added to red Legal Eagle XL and would highly recommend them to be installed as per plans. I flew it about 155 hours before i installed and if you are planning on landing on a dirt strip or off airport they are essential.  

Les Homan

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: Legal Eagle Short Landing and loads on landing gear
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:32:21 AM »
Les, that backwards camera shot reminds me of riding in the rear facing back seat in the family station wagon as a kid.  Almost got air sick!!!

Amazing amount of bending on the gear.  We, or maybe I should say I, bent the main gear leg on LE Treehugger during our many crow hops during testing, and it had springs.  Our main gear was bent in a banana shape, with the bend going up.  I think we had our diagonal strut mounted a bit lower or more inboard on the axle/gear leg knuckle, though, causing the force to twist the joint in the opposite direction of yours.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal