How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Newbie in California  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Magard

• Magard
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Newbie in California
« on: November 15, 2015, 06:36:24 AM »
Hey, all I'm thinking of building a Double Eagle. Never built a plane before so was wanting to talk to someone or maybe even go see one being built. Is their anyone around the Bakersfield area building one or maybe one already finished.

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.80 Chrome 46.0.2490.80
Re: Newbie in California
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 06:41:21 AM »
Hey Magard,

welcome to the forum

I am a fair bit west of you. On the Other side of the Pacific Ocean to be exact. So not handy to you at all. However I am building a DE and happy to share my experience. so any time you want to chat just ask away.

cheers Paul

Offline Magard

• Magard
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:40:24 AM »
Hey Paul thanks for the reply. Just curious what made you choose the double eagle as your project.

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.80 Chrome 46.0.2490.80
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »
Hi Magard,

Like many owning and flying my own plane has always been my goal. Also like others I started in GA and had great aspirations  of what i could fly but the budget did not match. GA in my country is expensive. I started thinking about what i really wanted to do and stumbled on the LSA  style of aircraft and was planning to by a kit and this was also out of reach at the time. It was then i turned my thoughts to plans building.

I looked at a few different aircraft and wanted something old school. I bought plans for a Pietenpol , but thought it might be a bit much to bite off since i had not built before. I then came across the Legal eagle and spent some time researching Leonards site. I wanted the aircraft to have a 2 seat capacity, not just for 2 people but so i could throw in an overnight bag if need be. It also simply came down to cost. what could i built that was cheap and still keep my dream alive. 

I could have waited and saved and saved for a kit with no certainty or begin the process, which in itself keeps you connected and stimulated. You then get involved with others and become part of something bigger. I have only got 1 wing 60% done, but can say i am thoroughly enjoying the process. It teaches you many skills and also how to think better. I trust this will continue but will let you know further down the track hahah!

What I like about Leonards aircraft are they are simple to build but very well designed and there is lots of help available. at the end you get a fun to fly aircraft you have made with your own hands. That in itself is a great acheivment. For me now its part of the journey not just the end result.

hope that helps

cheers Paul

Offline Magard

• Magard
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
Hey Paul thanks for the reply. I'm in a similar position. I think a cub would be great but to much money. I want like a air jeep for cheap. So I searched around and it seems like the double eagle fits the mission. I am think of some minner changes for my goals like bush wheels and maybe rotax power but not sure. I want to stay light and be able to land slow in open country not crazy but slow has to be better. The realities of owning and flying, it has to be simple safe and cheap. I'm not a pilot so getting lsa licence plus extra training to understand really what I'm doing is expensive. So the double eagle seems do able to me.

I'm still looking for someone in my general area to visit with and maybe see there project to see what I'm really doinging. Just trying to be realistic with what I'm doing so I finish my project.

Offline Cessna4542c

• Larry
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 04:02:14 PM »
Hi Magard,

I thought it was put in my two cents  I picked the DE for cost, scratch built and sport pilot classification.  I did not want to tie up too much time and money into a scratch build project.  I was going mostly for the building experience.  My hopes some day is to build a Folker DR I scratch built from plans before I die.  I got my plans a few months ago and I'm just finished  welding the fuselage. keep in mind that the plans aren't real good but there is a lot of support for building the DE.  I have been watching a guy named Jeremy Dunn on YouTube which does a fantastic job of displaying the building process of a DE.  I am gas welding my fuselage which of course takes an investment in a torch  which I already had.  And you should have a little  experience.  After all 3000 feet is a long ways to fall from the sky.  So far the project has been fun but keep in mind that scratch building is way different than a kit built plane.  Check out Jeremy on YouTube and good luck.

Offline Magard

• Magard
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 06:56:11 PM »
Hey thanks for the response. 
Just wondering what kind of previous experience you have building things. 
I'm a pretty experienced welder, not good with wood at all, know nothing about fabric. Good with mechanics and metal. 
How many hour do you have welding your fusalage. 

Thanks Magard

Offline Cessna4542c

• Larry
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 03:25:15 AM »
I would say I have about 30 hours into the basic frame.  I still have the rear section in the landing gear to go.  I have been a hobby welder for about the last 30 years.  Not much gas welding experience but I did take a sport air workshop  which was very helpful.  When it comes to making your joints in the frame go on EAA's website and look at paper fish mouthing.  This works pretty good after you get the hang of it.  My welds are gorilla wells strong but ugly.  In case you're wondering the metal tubing for the fuselage was about $1400 delivered to my door.  Good luck and have fun with it.

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.86 Chrome 46.0.2490.86
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
Check out our member map.  Fred W. is in Squaw Valley on this web site or Rienk in Santa Maria.  You could get their email on our member list.  I am building an LEU XL north west of LA.  Quite a bit farther to drive than the other two.

Offline Richfroh

• Rich Frohmiller
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
Hi Magard,
Welcome to the site. I am building a Double Eagle near Lodi, CA. I have completed all ribs and spars and one wing is about 75% complete. Not much to show you but you are welcome to come look it over. There are also some Legal Eagles fairly close to me that are complete or being built.
Rich
Rich Frohmiller

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal