How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Joe's LEXL E-95  (Read 82874 times)

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
    • Joe's CNC
Re: Joe's LEXL E-95
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the Rudder cabling placements for the fairleads but having a little brain fart on where to place them. and how much of the cable to have on the outside of the fuselage towards the rear. I tried searching yahoo pictures and here and google, but can not see any good pictures representing their placement.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.87 Chrome 49.0.2623.87
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
3M Green Fastbond 3M30NF //was --Re: Joe's LEXL E-95
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2016, 03:05:31 AM »
After Allot of research on the coverings available. I decided on the stewards type of process its simple and they have easy to follow videos on youtube. And after a little more research, the 3M30NF Green Fastbond appears to be the same as the Stewarts EcoBond, I downloaded the data sheets for both and compared ingredients and instructions, they are just about identical from what I see. The 3M30NF comes in a neutral and the green, just like stewarts. So I got a Quart of the 3M30NF in green so i can see the coverage areas when applied. I used the same process as Stewarts Video's. The same working time is the same on both products, It looks like it works the same and the results are very good, it is sealed up and bonded very well.
This is just what I chose to do, I would highly suggest if anyone wants to use the alternative that they test it for them self to see if it will work for you or not. There are also allot of discussion on the AVID Flyers forums, KitFox forums and Homebuilt Airplanes as well as a few other sources which talk about this also and shows others using it with good success.

So, I gather you feel everything is the same...between the two Joe, so with that in mind, and having worked with the Stewart product. I assume you saved money with the 3M? but you never said?  So was that the reason at the end? Curious....

Good work Joe.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • Joe's CNC
3M Green Fastbond //was --Re: Joe's LEXL E-95
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2016, 04:15:29 AM »
After Allot of research on the coverings available. I decided on the stewards type of process its simple and they have easy to follow videos on youtube. And after a little more research, the 3M30NF Green Fastbond appears to be the same as the Stewarts EcoBond, I downloaded the data sheets for both and compared ingredients and instructions, they are just about identical from what I see. The 3M30NF comes in a neutral and the green, just like stewarts. So I got a Quart of the 3M30NF in green so i can see the coverage areas when applied. I used the same process as Stewarts Video's. The same working time is the same on both products, It looks like it works the same and the results are very good, it is sealed up and bonded very well.
This is just what I chose to do, I would highly suggest if anyone wants to use the alternative that they test it for them self to see if it will work for you or not. There are also allot of discussion on the AVID Flyers forums, KitFox forums and Homebuilt Airplanes as well as a few other sources which talk about this also and shows others using it with good success.

So, I gather you feel everything is the same...between the two Joe, so with that in mind, and having worked with the Stewart product. I assume you saved money with the 3M? but you never said?  So was that the reason at the end? Curious....

Good work Joe.

The cost is about half for the 3M product. here are the spec data sheets if you like to compare the two.

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: XL
3M Green Fastbond 3M30NF //was --Re: Joe's LEXL E-95
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2016, 06:02:03 AM »
I agree Joe. Went through the same research a few years back including the MSDS. Posted on old site and probably on "cheap aircraft coverings". An old yahoo group.
I have older Aircraft Spruce catalogs where the peel ply was sold as uncertified aircraft covering. Same item number after the change to peel ply.
Not to take anything away from Stewart. He has got this latex system approved for certified aircraft. I doubt he is a paint or adhesive manufacturer.
Any idea of the years, manpower, and money 3M has in adhesive research.
Last I checked we are not building certified aircraft. If you are then no substitution would be permitted.
Tom XL-7

Sam used the peel ply on XL-58. He noticed some blemishes in fabric.
Didn't seem too concerned and Sam is a picky builder.

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »
Joe, for your rudder/tailwheel cable, I just pulled a straight line between the rudder horn and the pully wheel under the seat and put two guides.. one behid the seat and one about 24"+/- from the tail... in front of where I connected the cables to the tailwheel.... the closest angle tube thereto...I think.... just be sure the cablr does not drag on any other tubes... when taught...  i put some split fuel tube on one set of angle tube that rubbed a bit when slack...
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:02 PM »
I made a prototype of a pedal attachment to allow for more contact surface with the ball of the foot, I want to make a couple of changes.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »
Looks good Joe,

You may want to "stiple" the pad surface, so as to keep foot from sliding on this surface. Easily done in several ways.  One simple way is to lightly coat with epoxy and apply sharp grit such as black diamond sand blast media. But there are many ways, for very little weight.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
Looks good Joe,

You may want to "stiple" the pad surface, so as to keep foot from sliding on this surface. Easily done in several ways.  One simple way is to lightly coat with epoxy and apply sharp grit such as black diamond sand blast media. But there are many ways, for very little weight.
Yea one of the changes i want to do, I was thinking a checkering like i have done for gun grips, I also want to make it 4" wide.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »
I got the Tail Section done with temporary Bolts etc. I just need to make the cable stabilizers, and then rig the elevator and rudder controls, then will be able to cover the tail section and primer them.
I also made a temp seat for mockup, will more than likely change it out later for the traditional LE Seat.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Browser:
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2016, 07:07:34 PM »
I got the Tail Section done with temporary Bolts etc. I just need to make the cable stabilizers, and then rig the elevator and rudder controls, then will be able to cover the tail section and primer them.
I also made a temp seat for mockup, will more than likely change it out later for the traditional LE Seat.
Feel good time!... Looks well crafted and always so o o  natty...

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
This is what I am planning for the Bellcrank Bearing Housing.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »
I made the first tensioner for the tail sections, will need 8 of them for the top and bottom of the horizontal stabilizers. I think i want to make them a little longer to have a more adjustment.
For those who have had to add/remove washers and such to adjust cable tension. how much travel do you think may need, I was thinking another 1/2" on the length should do it from what i have now.
I was trying to find the sample picture i had but can not see it on here or my computer.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2016, 11:51:21 AM »
24 yrds of Dacron will be delivered tomorrow, with 1" 2" and 3" pinked tapes, and getting some more 3m Fastbond, so can start covering tail section.
All my wood was shipped out today, so hopefully start the wing builds. here is my wood order hopefully everything is correct. I think it is, if you see something please let me know.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2016, 07:13:52 AM »
Got the guide wire tension adjusters and cables installed and started covering the tail section. have to be careful and not over heat, the longer spans will start to bow inward inward, the first one had a little bow on the inside of the elevator. but not to bad at all you have to look down it to be able to see it. I went ahead and covered the rivets, gussets and ribs with tape prior to covering.

The Stewart system video's do not show any additional tape along the perimeter edge of the control surfaces, anyone who uses this system what did you do?

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
Glidden grey Primer "Gripper"

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal