How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Joe's LEXL E-95  (Read 82903 times)

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 46.0 Firefox 46.0
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
Re: Joe's LEXL E-95
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2016, 12:13:42 AM »
Rib jig is a really nice piece of work.   So much better'n the old-fashion jigs most of us built.   Great job.   Looks to guarantee a perfect duplicate set too.
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2016, 04:12:48 AM »
Rib jig is a really nice piece of work.   So much better'n the old-fashion jigs most of us built.   Great job.   Looks to guarantee a perfect duplicate set too.

Yes they are coming out exactly the same each and every time.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2016, 09:02:37 AM »
Redesign of Rudder Pedals.

Offline dz1sfb

• Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
  • Eagle Type: XL-F-34
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2016, 04:14:57 AM »
Joe,
That's some beautiful work on the pedals, but it got me thinking.

First let me say that I have limited full scale stick time and do not have a pilots license. However, I have noticed that a tendency for rudder pedals to allow for a push-push pumping function of the legs and not just from ankle movement. Your pedals will limit you to ankle movement only. I would love to hear from the pilots here on this from the standpoint of flying. I might make a difference in how we perceive how things should be.

(Edit) I just realized there are many ultralight aircraft rudder pedals that are ankle actuated. I suppose the rudder system is light enough to not need additional force from the legs.
Ken N.
"Good is the enemy of best"

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2016, 05:45:08 AM »
Joe,
That's some beautiful work on the pedals, but it got me thinking.

First let me say that I have limited full scale stick time and do not have a pilots license. However, I have noticed that a tendency for rudder pedals to allow for a push-push pumping function of the legs and not just from ankle movement. Your pedals will limit you to ankle movement only. I would love to hear from the pilots here on this from the standpoint of flying. I might make a difference in how we perceive how things should be.

(Edit) I just realized there are many ultralight aircraft rudder pedals that are ankle actuated. I suppose the rudder system is light enough to not need additional force from the legs.

My HiMax has full Plywood rudders hinged at the floor, and most all Cubs and taildragers have full pedals, since you have to be so active on the pedals, "Punch and Jab" I wanted as much contact area as possible for me. Also One thing to consider are "Shoes" to wear to allow full movement as much as possible.

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2016, 07:12:33 AM »
On the Legal Eagle XL and UL the rudder pedal energy to create full travel is very light. During normal flight removing feet from rudder pedals and reaching down with 2 fingers and just squeezing cable is enough to move to ends of travel
Les Homan

Offline boba65$#

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.102 Chrome 50.0.2661.102
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2016, 08:03:29 AM »
Question: I am building DE-F95, and REALLY like the adjustment tabs that you have built....WELL DONE!....I assume that this is a modification from the plans, as all the "eagle series" that I have seen had the washer/spacer method of cable tension adjustment. All stainless or stainless strap and AN hardware?. Just curious. I understand the weight concerns that Leonard had with the LE and others, but 8 or so more ounces on the empennage is not a big deal on an LSA(seems like most builders, after W&B calculations wish they would have added a foot to the aft cabin area), so no big. ...GREAT BUILD!!!

Offline Doug Tipps

• Browser:
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »
Joe, I am a very new member here on the site. Noticed that we are not too very far from each other. Ledbetter, Texas. Close to Round Top.  I'm in that "consideration" stage of building a LEXL. Just to let you know I appreciate your helpful post. As I dive into this project I'm sure I'll reference them often. Thanks.

Offline dz1sfb

• Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
  • Eagle Type: XL-F-34
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2016, 06:04:52 AM »
Joe, That's some beautiful work on the pedals, but it got me thinking. First let me say that I have limited full scale stick time and do not have a pilots license. However, I have noticed that a tendency for rudder pedals to allow for a push-push pumping function of the legs and not just from ankle movement. Your pedals will limit you to ankle movement only. I would love to hear from the pilots here on this from the standpoint of flying. I might make a difference in how we perceive how things should be. (Edit) I just realized there are many ultralight aircraft rudder pedals that are ankle actuated. I suppose the rudder system is light enough to not need additional force from the legs.
My HiMax has full Plywood rudders hinged at the floor, and most all Cubs and taildragers have full pedals, since you have to be so active on the pedals, "Punch and Jab" I wanted as much contact area as possible for me. Also One thing to consider are "Shoes" to wear to allow full movement as much as possible.

Thanks for the clarification. I realized the HiMax had the full plywood hinged at the floor and realized the assumption I had made, hence the edit. Good to know the pedal forces are light and more about pumping the toes rather than the legs. 

Keep up the good work!!
Ken N.
"Good is the enemy of best"

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2016, 09:14:40 AM »

Joe, That's some beautiful work on the pedals, but it got me thinking. First let me say that I have limited full scale stick time and do not have a pilots license. However, I have noticed that a tendency for rudder pedals to allow for a push-push pumping function of the legs and not just from ankle movement. Your pedals will limit you to ankle movement only. I would love to hear from the pilots here on this from the standpoint of flying. I might make a difference in how we perceive how things should be. (Edit) I just realized there are many ultralight aircraft rudder pedals that are ankle actuated. I suppose the rudder system is light enough to not need additional force from the legs.

Thanks for the clarification. I realized the HiMax had the full plywood hinged at the floor and realized the assumption I had made, hence the edit. Good to know the pedal forces are light and more about pumping the toes rather than the legs.

Keep up the good work!!

Its always nice to have the experianced guys chime in like les and others.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
Most of my Engine Parts Showed up Today. and I have been covering the empennage so they are ready for paint, I test painted one elevator before so now the rest are ready.
You can also see the Aluminum shaft made by Scott Casler. for the Magnito.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »
Here is the tail sections ready for paint.

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »
I think I forgot to post a picture showing the stack of ribs I did a while back in June. This is before sanding.

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 53.0.2785.116 Chrome 53.0.2785.116
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »
Lookin Great Joe!
Frank

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »
An update:

Got all my Engine parts from Bob Demello, The heads and Mag adapter came from Scott Casler,
I pained the case you can see what I used to block the bolt holes and tape on the studs, and used foam to block everything else.
After talking to Scott Casler, I placed the thrust bearing on the #2 position Bob sent me an oversize bearing for this reason which i machined to match the journal with a tight snug fit. Then measured its overhang from the journal and added the shims width and the 0.004" play to get the dimension that the cam gear had to be machined down, This ensures the correct spacing with the cam gear, the spacer, the brass dist gear and the ring keeper at the end, and since the bearing overhangs, the cam shaft gear had to be cut from the rear, both machined on my lathe.
I am plugin all the necessary rear oil ports and also removing the front restricter plug. The engine should come together quickly (well I hope).

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal