How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Powdercoat Fuselage  (Read 7795 times)

Offline Vince Carucci

• EAA 324
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.80 Chrome 47.0.2526.80
    • Legal Eagle T-53
  • Eagle Type: LE: T-53
Powdercoat Fuselage
« on: December 10, 2015, 03:01:51 PM »
I've seen a few references to powder-coating instead of painting. I believe I've read that durability and light weight are the primary reasons. But after looking into it, it seems that powder-coat is both a thicker and more dense finish than paint. I don't understand how that can make it lighter than paint. Might they be comparing it to paint in its liquid form. I know that powder-coat is like a bullet proof finish, but when you factor in the cost of powder-coating and its possible weight penalty, it seems like a less desirable choice. 

Am I mistaken about the weight?

Vince

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: Powdercoat Fuselage
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
Vince- you are correct, powder coating is heavy. Prime and paint is also easy to touch up.
Frank

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.73 Chrome 47.0.2526.73
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
Also i believe it is harder to get off if you have to re weld something.

cheers Paul

Offline riorex2002

• Noob
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.82 Chrome 46.0.2490.82
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »
powder coating can also hide a crack under the coating.
Rex
Rio vista

Offline Vince Carucci

• EAA 324
  • Browser:
    • Legal Eagle T-53
  • Eagle Type: LE: T-53
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:54:08 PM »
The wisdom of the masses. I really like this forum!

Thanks to all.

Vince

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
Still waiting on my LE plans but I can weigh in regarding Rustoleum vs. powder coat durability.   I use to have covers for my packaging equipment here at work sent out to be sand blasted and re-powder coated after getting scratched and dinged up over the years.  Cost a lot of $.  For the past few years I started just sanding them and spraying them with rattle can Rustoleum which I think some builders here do with their planes.  I have to say I'm very impressed with not only the finish but the durability as well.  And yes, WAY easier to touch up.  I also welded a tongue jack to one of those Harbor Freight trailer kits.  After welding I just masked the area and sprayed it with red Rustoleum.  5 years later, most of the trailer frame is rusting.  That spot where I sprayed Rustoleum over the welds still looks new.  No rust.

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 04:48:07 AM »
I remember an old yahoo post where another problem with powder coat was discussed.  The coating was hard to get deep into the nooks and crannies of a cluster.
It was recommended that the velocity(pressure) be kicked up lest the stuff cling to the tubes on the way in. Making a thicker area that you didn't want and a very weak cover deep in the cluster where you really need it the most.  That said I think the first L.E. I saw was red powdercoat . And I have seen it for quite a few years afterwards. Nothing but beautiful.  
tom XL-7

Offline Tom Stephens

• Noob
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 42.0 Firefox 42.0
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 08:38:51 AM »
For the past few years I started just sanding them and spraying them with rattle can Rustoleum

What particular brand of Rustoleum?

Tom

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
For the past few years I started just sanding them and spraying them with rattle can Rustoleum

Just the basic stuff.  Less then $4/can. 

What particular brand of Rustoleum?

Tom

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
I also used a rattle can, implement paint from fleet farm. I am happy with the results (ford blue). Just watch out for overspray my wife did not appreciate the blue specs all over her car

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »
As far as I'm concerned on the powder coat issues. I have had excellent luck on the durability. I have been flying the slug for almost 9 years now and it still looks like new. That being said, like others Tom and all have stated,  I needed to bring the fuselage in for a touch up after it was first done. Yep not getting in to the clusters and in other areas dry spots. The guy wasn't very happy to redo. The second time he poured it on. Real thick. Not so good for weight savings but looks great.
If I ever did it again... I wouldn't powder coat for the same reason others have said again. If you want to weld another tab or ???? you would probably end up with a big mess... Torches and plastic.. uhm. Also some say again that it could possibly hide cracks.

Looks great, holds up well in my case but next time I'd PAINT...

Scott J
Slug Musher

Offline JohnB

• Beta testers
  • JohnB
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.106 Chrome 47.0.2526.106
  • Eagle Type: xl
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »
In my former life about a hundred yrs ago I sold powder coat equipment for a living for 35 yrs.    I will not powder coat my fuselage and I can do it for zero cost.   Durability is excelllent unless you use epoxy (chalks in sunlight over a period of time) but touchup is problematic and a tube fuselage is probably the worst example of what powder is good at. REALLY hard to get the nooks and crannies without loading up adjacent areas (Faraday Cage Effect)

I had a customer once that could not be talked out of powdercoating his airframe, I weighed the fuselage before and after. ONE pound difference, doubt if any difference from a liquid coating.

LO&SLO   John Bolding

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal