How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: EAA AirVenture advise  (Read 10997 times)

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
EAA AirVenture advise
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »
Hi, I would like to make the trek to Oshkosh this year.  First time.  Any suggestions on where to stay?  I don't think I want to pup a tent but definitely don't need a 5 star hotel.  I probably can't take off the entire week but am open to suggestions on a length of stay where I can take in everything.  I've heard that getting in and out of the airport can be a traffic nightmare.  I've seen some local homes renting rooms that week that boast bicycle riding to the entrance.  Any suggestions?

Offline PropMan

• 2019 Donor
  • XL B2
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.106 Chrome 47.0.2526.106
    • Performance Propellers USA
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: EAA AirVenture advise
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
914pete,
There's lots of places to stay, just depends how much you want to spend. I have camped for the past 20+ years, been lucky enough to have a travel trailer the last three. Look under Plan your Trip tab on the Airventure webpage. I know several folks who stay in the dorms, fairly inexpensive and buses run often. Make good use of the trams, you'll cover more ground and get to see things passing buy (-:
Hopefully we can put together a gathering this year.
Frank
Frank

Offline Cessna4542c

• Larry
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 05:02:05 AM »
Pete 
 If you fly in Fond du Lac airport it is a very friendly place to fly into.  EEA chapter 572 is the host on the airport all seven days.  EAA chapter 572 parks the planes they run the camping there is a daily shuttle on the hour to EAA grounds from Fond du Lac  which is very reasonable pick you up in Fond du Lac drop you off at the gate EAA grounds.  Camping is cheap for the week clean showers and bathrooms restaurants within walking distance maybe a mile you can usually catch a ride with someone at Fond du Lac if you're going to restaurants.  You can go to EAA chapter 572 website for more information or just email me I live in Fond du Lac and I can maybe help you.  Last year was one of our highest years and camping I think it's $25 for the week you can't beat that.

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:38:03 AM »
Pete
 If you fly in Fond du Lac airport it is a very friendly place to fly into.  EEA chapter 572 is the host on the airport all seven days.  EAA chapter 572 parks the planes they run the camping there is a daily shuttle on the hour to EAA grounds from Fond du Lac  which is very reasonable pick you up in Fond du Lac drop you off at the gate EAA grounds.  Camping is cheap for the week clean showers and bathrooms restaurants within walking distance maybe a mile you can usually catch a ride with someone at Fond du Lac if you're going to restaurants.  You can go to EAA chapter 572 website for more information or just email me I live in Fond du Lac and I can maybe help you.  Last year was one of our highest years and camping I think it's $25 for the week you can't beat that.
hey there, thanks for the info.  That actually sounds pretty fun.  However, I don't have an airplane and would either be flying in commercially or possibly even driving there.  I have an email into one of the fellas at EAA572 but do you know if one can camp at the airport if your not "flying in"?

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.39 Chrome 49.0.2623.39
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »
I have an email into one of the fellas at EAA572 but do you know if one can camp at the airport if your not "flying in"?

If you drive in, you may as well camp at DeRelleumtdats.  Ed Stadtmueller's farm is right across the street from the Ultralight Barn and all the action.  Way cheaper than EAA camping...

See attached...

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9711282,-88.5448293,1390a,20y,270h,41.3t/data=!3m1!1e3

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »
I have an email into one of the fellas at EAA572 but do you know if one can camp at the airport if your not "flying in"?

Whats DeRelleumtdats?  Who is Ed Stadtmueller?

If you drive in, you may as well camp at DeRelleumtdats.  Ed Stadtmueller's farm is right across the street from the Ultralight Barn and all the action.  Way cheaper than EAA camping...

See attached...

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9711282,-88.5448293,1390a,20y,270h,41.3t/data=!3m1!1e3

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.39 Chrome 49.0.2623.39
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
DE Relleumtdat's is Ed Stadtmueller's spelled backwards...

Ed owns property at Wittman field were EAA is headquartered and they hold the Oshkosh fly-in every year.  

He turns his farm into a camp ground every year during the festivities.  

The pic I sent was during the winter.  

When 500 thousand people come from all over the world it looks a little different.  

It's like Woodstock with airplanes... every year.  But a little more organized, and only one Concert on Monday night.

Believe me you will appreciate Mr. Stadtmueller and his little farm then.    

You sir, are in for a mind blowing eye opener...

another attachment...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.103 Chrome 48.0.2564.103
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:47:10 PM »
I was at #OSH14 and stayed at the University in the dorms and it was great. Suited me as I was on my own. Cheap and clean and the staff are very helpful. The shuttle buses run every 10 mins at peak times. The dorm food is OK and there is a bar down the street everyone goes to called Kellys. There are other places to eat in walking distance.

If  I com..... what the hell am I saying. WHEN I come back to OSH (2017) I will probably do the same.

cheers Paul

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 06:01:19 AM »
I was at #OSH14 and stayed at the University in the dorms and it was great. Suited me as I was on my own. Cheap and clean and the staff are very helpful. The shuttle buses run every 10 mins at peak times. The dorm food is OK and there is a bar down the street everyone goes to called Kellys. There are other places to eat in walking distance.

If  I com..... what the hell am I saying. WHEN I come back to OSH (2017) I will probably do the same.

cheers Paul
I was just looking at the dorms.  Just out of curiosity, did you stay in a non-air room?  The air conditioned rooms are twice as expensive yet are sold out.  Makes me wonder.

Offline lake_harley

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 06:40:27 AM »
I stayed at the dorm my only year to attend Oshkosh, last year. I suppose it's the same one being discussed, about 25-30 miles from Oshkosh. Had a "non-air" room and being used to hot, humid Missouri weather the room was fine. Some take a fan along just in case.

My room was just across the hall from the bathroom/shower. For $50/night (I think?) with a good breakfast included I thought it was great.

Lynn

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 08:59:49 AM »
I stayed at the dorm my only year to attend Oshkosh, last year. I suppose it's the same one being discussed, about 25-30 miles from Oshkosh. Had a "non-air" room and being used to hot, humid Missouri weather the room was fine. Some take a fan along just in case.

My room was just across the hall from the bathroom/shower. For $50/night (I think?) with a good breakfast included I thought it was great.

Lynn

Hey Lynn, I was looking at the U of Wisconsin-Oshkosh which boasts being 2 miles from AirVenture?  There are a few Universities further away.   Was there busing or did U need a car?

Offline lake_harley

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
We stayed at Ripon. I just saw on EAA's website that it's listed as being 19 miles from the EAA grounds. I think busses did run, but another friend drove up from MO so we rode 4 in the cab of his standard cab pickup....cozy! On the busses, I don't think they had very many runs per day, but since we had other transportation we didn't look into all of the details. Don't expect luxurious appointments though. My room made me think I was staying in a monastery. But, then all of the rooms look the same with your eyes closed :)

Lynn

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.103 Chrome 48.0.2564.103
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
@lake_harley and @914 Pete.

I stayed at UW very close to the field, heaps of people stay. agree with Lynn, dorms are basic and all you need, No TV but wifi was good. I am also from a hot Climate so heat did not bother me too much, I had a Non AC Room. Next time I would go and buy a fan though.

I liked the proximity to the field. 10-15 mins on the bus

Paul

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal