How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL Marerials  (Read 8002 times)

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
    • Joe's CNC
XL Marerials
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
Does some one have a better Hardware list than whats in the plans, it always seems the plans are short on allot of things and i find myself going back and back for more material.

one thing was the rivets, i used close to 500 in the tail section, I know this is allot but i have a min of three on every connection. but 150 1/8x1/8 is way short.

I am ready to place an order for hardware and i see a lot of 3/16 bolts lock nuts etc. and i'm sure allot other things.
I tried asking in my build log twice but did not get any response. So I would really appreciate if someone can post a list of what they used, a few extra is way better than a few short, shipping twice or three times is more expensive than getting extra to start with.

Also ready to order all spruce and plywood, and would like to know if the list is good or what i should get extra of.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
Re: XL Marerials
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:15:49 AM »
Joe, I'm getting close to ordering all the material for the empenage.  Did you find the material list for all the aluminum tubing and sheet accurate?

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:39:19 AM »
Here is what i found on the Aluminum for the tail sections.

I was short on the 3/4" by 3" to make the final 44" legth for the last elevator, I had to go get and extra 6' piece.
I used a full sheet of 48"x48" of 0.20" aluminum for the ribs and the gussets, I added a couple extra as seen by sam at one time on the Horz. stabilizer.
The rivets i used almost 500.

I have an extra 12' piece of 5/8" and 3/8" so not sure if they are used later on in the build.
I would suggest drawing them out and making a cut list from the material. I just did not have time to do it yet. this would be beneficial to future builders and possibly making a layout sheet for all the 0.20" ribs and gussets. I think scott started it but has not had time to finish.

The Aluminum and rivets for the seat is not in the material listing. I need to order a 48"x24" 0.20" for my seat, I may start with a cloth seat first then build the final seat later.
Also consider if using aluminum for the floorboard. I think i will use Ply.
I left out the 1.125" tubing as i will try to get the carlson struts

I may have missed something, but going by memory hope this is correct, others may chime in and help.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.116 Chrome 48.0.2564.116
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
thanks for the update Joe

On the floor boards.   Keep as a thought, that a piece of 2024T-3 held by tabs on the frame (floor tabs)  about 3" to 3.5" spacings, is as strong as you will ever need.  By tab I mean, a 1" square of .030 or .040 welded to your frame with a hole drilled through that and your alum floor panel. Then depending on your likes, screw this down to the tab. via nut plate or tin. clip.  Most don't believe it will be strong enough, but it is used on far lager craft with excellent results.

I don't think you will beat the weight, and if your wanting more strength.... well for what? The bird can carry only so much.

cheers
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Terry Lundby

• Phantomas
  • Donor 2024
  • Ribs are done.
  • Mac OS X 10.11.3 Mac OS X 10.11.3
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0.3 Safari 9.0.3
  • Eagle Type: XL E-58
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:27:28 PM »
The Materials List includes 96 x 14 x ¼ plywood for the XL.  Other than the ends of the ailerons I don't see the need of 96 x14 inches of ¼ ply on the plans. Can this be ordered in a shorter ,(48) length?  I must have got some bad de-caffe by mistake and I'm sure it's my oversight so any help would be appreciated.  
Terry

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »
thanks for the update Joe

On the floor boards.   Keep as a thought, that a piece of 2024T-3 held by tabs on the frame (floor tabs)  about 3" to 3.5" spacings, is as strong as you will ever need.  By tab I mean, a 1" square of .030 or .040 welded to your frame with a hole drilled through that and your alum floor panel. Then depending on your likes, screw this down to the tab. via nut plate or tin. clip.  Most don't believe it will be strong enough, but it is used on far lager craft with excellent results.

I don't think you will beat the weight, and if your wanting more strength.... well for what? The bird can carry only so much.

cheers

What thickness of 2024T-3 do you recommend?  I was also thinking of 3/16 ply

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.87 Chrome 49.0.2623.87
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »
Some of the nose ribs are 1/4 ply
tom xl-7

Offline Terry Lundby

• Phantomas
  • Donor 2024
  • Ribs are done.
  • Mac OS X 10.11.3 Mac OS X 10.11.3
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0.3 Safari 9.0.3
  • Eagle Type: XL E-58
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:12:43 PM »
Some of the nose ribs are 1/4 ply
tom xl-7

You're right, Tom.  Thank you.  I had overlooked these since I had already made the the nose ribs.  I'll order a smaller sheet.
Terry

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.116 Chrome 48.0.2564.116
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 06:06:47 PM »
.032  2024 T-3 has done the trick for us... Joe
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 06:53:40 AM »

I was short on the 3/4" by 3" to make the final 44" legth for the last elevator, I had to go get and extra 6' piece.
I used a full sheet of 48"x48" of 0.20" aluminum for the ribs and the gussets, I added a couple extra as seen by sam at one time on the Horz. stabilizer.

I have an extra 12' piece of 5/8" and 3/8" so not sure if they are used later on in the build.
I would suggest drawing them out and making a cut list from the material. I just did not have time to do it yet. this would be beneficial to future builders and possibly making a layout sheet for all the 0.20" ribs and gussets. I think scott started it but has not had time to finish.

The Aluminum and rivets for the seat is not in the material listing. I need to order a 48"x24" 0.20" for my seat, I may start with a cloth seat first then build the final seat later.

I may have missed something, but going by memory hope this is correct, others may chime in and help.
Hi Joe, sorry I got a little side tracked on the build but would like to order the aluminum today or Monday.  Did you see where the extra 12' lengths of 5/8" and 3/8" you ordered will be used?  And you used nearly 500 1/8" x 1/8" pops rivets?

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 08:21:24 AM »

Hi Joe, sorry I got a little side tracked on the build but would like to order the aluminum today or Monday.  Did you see where the extra 12' lengths of 5/8" and 3/8" you ordered will be used?  And you used nearly 500 1/8" x 1/8" pops rivets?

Actually a little over 500 rivets i got a total of 550 and have about 25-30 left, not i did drill out a few maybe 20 total, I replaced a couple of bad bripped rivets, and then removed the gusset for the rudder horn when i noticed it was way to small and needed room for the horn and extra for the covering to adhere to.

As far as the extra lengths i have not looked further into the plans, but i'm thinking maybe the some are used for the jury struts. and it never hurts to have a little extra, I will look later and see exactly what i have left over from just building the tail sections.

Here is an example of rivets used in just one place where three ribs come together, I used 28 rivets on the two sides. i saw some people use two rivets per rib and connection but I wanted to make sure they are very secure, my tail sections build with my hinges and bolts/nuts holding them together are 6.6 LBS.

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 09:05:51 AM »

Hi Joe, sorry I got a little side tracked on the build but would like to order the aluminum today or Monday.  Did you see where the extra 12' lengths of 5/8" and 3/8" you ordered will be used?  And you used nearly 500 1/8" x 1/8" pops rivets?

Actually a little over 500 rivets i got a total of 550 and have about 25-30 left, not i did drill out a few maybe 20 total, I replaced a couple of bad bripped rivets, and then removed the gusset for the rudder horn when i noticed it was way to small and needed room for the horn and extra for the covering to adhere to.

As far as the extra lengths i have not looked further into the plans, but i'm thinking maybe the some are used for the jury struts. and it never hurts to have a little extra, I will look later and see exactly what i have left over from just building the tail sections.

Here is an example of rivets used in just one place where three ribs come together, I used 28 rivets on the two sides. i saw some people use two rivets per rib and connection but I wanted to make sure they are very secure, my tail sections build with my hinges and bolts/nuts holding them together are 6.6 LBS.

Great.  Thanks Joe. 

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »

Great.  Thanks Joe.  
I was just on the phone with ACS and they do not carry 1/2" x 1/2" x .062 aluminum angle.  What did you use?  (Sorry to keep bothering you, having just recently completed the empennage I thought things might still be fresh on your mind)  Also, the least expensive way to ship the tubing is in 8' lengths.  Scanning the plan it looks like that will work.  Can you confirm? 

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • Joe's CNC
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »
I was just on the phone with ACS and they do not carry 1/2" x 1/2" x .062 aluminum angle.  What did you use?  (Sorry to keep bothering you, having just recently completed the empennage I thought things might still be fresh on your mind)  Also, the least expensive way to ship the tubing is in 8' lengths.  Scanning the plan it looks like that will work.  Can you confirm?  

I think you may have to purchase extra lengths if you get them in 8' pieces, if i remember the elevator 1/2" tube was about 61"  so two came out of 1-12' piece and so on with other sizes, you may have allot of left over if you get 8' pieces. I got mine locally so i just went and picked it up, I did not order the aluminum online.

I did use the 1/2"x1/2" since my local place had it.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal