How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Main Spar question (just curious)  (Read 5111 times)

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.106 Chrome 51.0.2704.106
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
Main Spar question (just curious)
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:41:16 PM »
I've seen where a number of different homebuilt aircraft use a box spar where the spar webbing is on both the front and back of the spar.   Would doing this with the DE main spar really increase it's strength?   

Just curious.
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 47.0 Firefox 47.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: Main Spar question (just curious)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:10:34 AM »
A quick, and probably only partial answer, is that that design (box spar) is used in some aircraft.  Depending on the specifics, it could be stronger, could be heavier, too.  The Eagle design could be made to be stronger, and heavier/lighter, depending on the materials, etc..

The box spar you describe is often used to provide structure to resist twisting of the wing.  The Eagle spar does not provide much torsion structure.  The leading edge of the wing does provide some torsion structure.

Putting a box spar in the Eagles would need serious analysis.

My 2 cents.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline John Reinking

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
Thanks, Tom.    Am keeping with Leonard's design but was curious about it.    The torsion twist is an issue that struck me.   No doubt that significant study would be required.    Thanks for your position.     John Reinking/Woodinville, WA
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
Thanks, Tom.    Am keeping with Leonard's design but was curious about it.    The torsion twist is an issue that struck me.   No doubt that significant study would be required.    Thanks for your position.     John Reinking/Woodinville, WA

The DE takes the torsion in the 4 lift struts.  The d cell is lagniappes...

The DE wing has been fully analyzed by aeronautical engineers.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline John Reinking

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »
Thanks, Dan, again just curious.   So much to learn  about "aircraft".

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:21:18 AM »
Dan, never heard the word lagniappes, I had to go to Wikipedia to see what it meant.  On the Eagle wings, I would have to agree with that.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
I took a job in Lafayette Louisiana back in the early 80's...

lagniappe 

noun  la·gniappe  \ˈlan-ˌyap, lan-ˈ\

Popularity: Top 40% of words

Definition of lagniappe

• :  a small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase; broadly :  something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure
  Examples of lagniappe in a sentence

• <the meal was served with a lagniappe of freshly made cornbread>
  • <the hotel threw in some free shampoo as a lagniappe>

Did You Know?

We picked up one excellent word, wrote Mark Twain in Life on the Mississippi (1883), "a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get; a nice limber, expressive, handy word-'lagniappe'.... It is Spanish-so they said." Twain encapsulates the history of "lagniappe" quite nicely. English speakers learned the word from French-speaking Louisianians, but they in turn had adapted it from the American Spanish word la ñapa. Twain went on to describe how New Orleanians completed shop transactions by saying "Give me something for lagniappe," to which the shopkeeper would respond with "a bit of liquorice-root, ... a cheap cigar or a spool of thread." It took a while for "lagniappe" to catch on throughout the country, but by the mid-20th century, New Yorkers and New Orleanians alike were familiar with this "excellent word."

Origin and Etymology of lagniappe

American French, from American Spanish la ñapa the lagniappe, from la + ñapa, yapa, from Quechua yapa something added

First Known Use: 1844

Related to lagniappe

Synonyms
 cumshaw, dividend, donative, extra, gratuity, gravy, gravy train, bonus, perk, perquisite, throw-in, tip
Related Words
 pension; bestowal, presentation; benefaction, beneficence, benevolence, bounty, charity, generosity, largesse (also largess), philanthropy; contribution, donation, gift, offering, present; grant, subsidy; boon, manna, windfall; favor, freebie (or freebee), giveaway, premium; award, prize, reward; fringe benefit, icing
Near Antonyms
 advance, loan; bribe, douceur, peace offering, sop

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal