How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Prop Starting A Volkswagon Engine  (Read 4688 times)

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.10.5 Mac OS X 10.10.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.116 Chrome 52.0.2743.116
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
Prop Starting A Volkswagon Engine
« on: September 07, 2016, 10:35:16 PM »
Could someone point me to or give me information on prop starting my XL.  I have never prop started an VW engine with a magneto before.  Any suggestions??

Offline joecnc2006

• LE XL E-95
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • Joe's CNC
Re: Prop Starting A Volkswagon Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:59:52 AM »
Here is a quickvideo in the beginning from Less, but I'm sure i saw one showing the proccess.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 48.0 Firefox 48.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:01:21 AM »
Could someone point me to or give me information on prop starting my XL.  I have never prop started an VW engine with a magneto before.  Any suggestions??

Always assume the mag is hot.  The mag "switch" grounds the P-lead.  In other words if the wire is lose, broken or the switch is bad the mag is hot and the plane will still fly.

If a cylinder is coming up on compression and has had a smell of gas it will hit if the mag is hot,  this is why the G.A. practice is to kill the engine by pulling the mixture control to lean cut off.  I like to cut the fuel off, run it up to about 1500 then pull the mixture to LCO.  This insures the cylinders are dry and will not start if the P leads have lost ground.  

Also it takes the needle off the seat in the carb until the fuel petcock is turned back on...  It is just good practice to put your plane away with only oil in the cylinders and makes moving the prop that much safer.  The petcock going off early is just my habit.  

Here is another video...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »

Are there any peculiarities when pouring fuel into the tank and priming the carbs?  I have not put gas in the tank since testing for leaks.  It has been dry since that test.  I imagine there might be air pressure in the fuel line going to the carbs until the float bowls fill with fuel.

Always assume the mag is hot.  The mag "switch" grounds the P-lead.  In other words if the wire is lose, broken or the switch is bad the mag is hot and the plane will still fly.

If a cylinder is coming up on compression and has had a smell of gas it will hit if the mag is hot,  this is why the G.A. practice is to kill the engine by pulling the mixture control to lean cut off.  I like to cut the fuel off, run it up to about 1500 then pull the mixture to LCO.  This insures the cylinders are dry and will not start if the P leads have lost ground.  

Also it takes the needle off the seat in the carb until the fuel petcock is turned back on...  It is just good practice to put your plane away with only oil in the cylinders and makes moving the prop that much safer.  The petcock going off early is just my habit.  

Here is another video...

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »
Are there any peculiarities when pouring fuel into the tank and priming the carbs?  I have not put gas in the tank since testing for leaks.  It has been dry since that test.  I imagine there might be air pressure in the fuel line going to the carbs until the float bowls fill with fuel.

You might want to clip an extra ground off an on to the p-lead until you get more comfortable around your test set up.  

If your carb vents are clear there should not be much drama getting the float bowls full.

Consider running the bowls dry at the end of your test runs and note how long it takes so you can perhaps estimate when to cut the fuel when taxiing in at the end of your flights...

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:14:44 AM »

You might want to clip an extra ground off an on to the p-lead until you get more comfortable around your test set up.  

If your carb vents are clear there should not be much drama getting the float bowls full.

Consider running the bowls dry at the end of your test runs and note how long it takes so you can perhaps estimate when to cut the fuel when taxiing in at the end of your flights...

I have a single pole, single throw switch wired to the mag.  One of the terminal comes off the mag case.  I assumed that was the ground so I ran two wires off that connection.  One to the switch and one to the engine case as a ground.  The other terminal I assumed was the hot terminal or the P-Lead. I ran a wire from that to the other connection of the switch.  IS THIS CORRECT?   I do not have the wires connected to plugs so as not to accidentally make the engine hot.  No fuel in tank or carbs.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 05:34:02 AM »
I have a single pole, single throw switch wired to the mag.  One of the terminal comes off the mag case.  I assumed that was the ground so I ran two wires off that connection.  One to the switch and one to the engine case as a ground.  The other terminal I assumed was the hot terminal or the P-Lead. I ran a wire from that to the other connection of the switch.  IS THIS CORRECT?   I do not have the wires connected to plugs so as not to accidentally make the engine hot.  No fuel in tank or carbs.

As long as the prop is not moved through a compression stroke it won't hit...  You should be hearing the impulse coupling snapping.

Use a reliable switch to ground the center of the P-lead to the shield of the P-lead.

P- lead is short for primary winding.  Mags generate their own juice.  P-lead is not the "hot" you would send batt. current to the coil like in the car.  If both ends of the primary winding in the mag coil are not grounded by the switch the mag will fire the plugs.

A link to a pdf on switches and a video....

Offline cluttonfred

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
    • Clutton FRED
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:57:50 PM »
Matthew Long, Editor
cluttonfred.info
A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal