How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL Fuselage Width Dimensions  (Read 3666 times)

Offline rbrochey

• Linux (Ubuntu) Linux (Ubuntu)
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 47.0 Firefox 47.0
    • Brochey Guitars
  • Eagle Type: XL
XL Fuselage Width Dimensions
« on: November 03, 2016, 02:55:21 PM »
Hello all... I'm getting my shop geared up to build the fuselage of the XL this winter but am having a problem seeing the actual width of the bottom of it. I can read plans and blueprints pretty well and can figure things out usually if they aren't clear but the only bottom widths I see on the plans are the widths of the stations ... there's a drawing of the fuselage bottom with the tubing sizes but nothing (I can see) that defines the width for laying out the bottom... I see the sides measurements on page 6... what am missing??? I'm assuming it's the bottom station width center to center...  thanks!!

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.71 Chrome 54.0.2840.71
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: XL Fuselage Width Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 04:15:58 PM »
Hello all... I'm getting my shop geared up to build the fuselage of the XL this winter but am having a problem seeing the actual width of the bottom of it. I can read plans and blueprints pretty well and can figure things out usually if they aren't clear but the only bottom widths I see on the plans are the widths of the stations ... there's a drawing of the fuselage bottom with the tubing sizes but nothing (I can see) that defines the width for laying out the bottom... I see the sides measurements on page 6... what am missing??? I'm assuming it's the bottom station width center to center...  thanks!!

If I am reading this correctly, you see the width of the stations on page #4,   But just for giggles I will repeat at 13.5"- #1, 24" for the next two,  then 12"  +/- and of course your standard tube dia.  for the tail post.

Except for adding that, these dimensions almost always mean Center To Center on all aircraft plans, I don't know what else to say...other than, there they are there as stated---. actually there are NO other dimensions to give.. simply being from #3 to #5, is strait with number 4 showing that you should be close to this 12" number.  

of course there are those that made this down to 19"  (the 24")  stations.  And those that make the fire wall more vertical than horizontal.  A free for all in design, with nearly all working just fine.  With the tri-angle base design, this can happen easily.

Hope this helps.
Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.71 Chrome 54.0.2840.71
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »
I'm not a big guy...about 5' 9 1/2" and around 180 lbs but I like a little elbow room. Do you think the world would come to an end if the fuselage width front dimensions from the firewall back through the seat area were increased by 1 - 1 1/2" inches ?  I've got an idea to run a horizontal tube on the left side of the fuselage from the shoulder area cluster forward towards the front left panel cluster providing a more convenient location for a throttle / carb heat lever and also allow covering material for the left side of the fuselage. I'm planning on entering the plane from the right side and have an idea there to tweak that upper left to lower right diagonal to allow a bit more room to get into the plane.

I know the engine will get propped from the left side but I'm planning on getting in and out on the right side like I did with my Christavia. Being right handed, I like the throttle on the left but maybe not as far away as the panel as my left elbow doesn't fully extend due to an earlier self inflicted motorcycle accident.

Any thoughts on a slightly wider fuselage appreciated. I have no interest in a Double Eagle. Thanks.
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline rbrochey

• Linux (Ubuntu) Linux (Ubuntu)
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 47.0 Firefox 47.0
    • Brochey Guitars
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
It does, thank you, I just wanted to be sure... other aircraft plans I have show the stations with different dimensions than the fuselage... got it though and thanks again.

Offline Vince Carucci

• EAA 324
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
    • Legal Eagle T-53
  • Eagle Type: LE: T-53
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 06:19:34 AM »
To Stroud,

I am building the basic LE which has a width of about 20". For a little elbow room I plan to build the upper part out to maybe 24" while keeping the bottom spacing of the longerons per the plans. I don't believe this deviation will weaken the structure at all. 

Vince

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal