How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Oil or not in the welded fuselage  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.71 Chrome 54.0.2840.71
  • Eagle Type: XL
Oil or not in the welded fuselage
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
New guy here...Dave Stroud from Ottawa, Canada. Just received steveiniiowa's plan supplements and waiting for LEXL plans to arrive any day. Traveled to Michigan last weekend and bought a Cassler rebuilt 69 x 82 cut 1/2 vw with dual ignition...mag and distributor/coil with four plugs and Zenith carb with heat. Three props included in the deal. As a bit of background, I built and flew a SkyPup back in the 80's and grew into a Koala 202 with my first 1/2 vw.  I scratch built a Christavia and first flew it back in 1998.  Wiki  Christavia and go down five phtos.  C-FDWS . Interests changed and I sold it four years ago and yet want to build one more time. 

So, a couple of questions if I may ask your advice. I don't hear anything about oiling the inside of tubing on the welded fuselage. Any comments please. I've watched many LE youtube videos and have seen what appears to be an alarming amount of flap/flutter etc in the empenage flying wires. I understand that there is some recommended mod to change the leading ( and or trailing edge ) of the vertical stabilizer to 4130....but what gives with the movies of flapping flying wires, please ? 

With this in mind and I'm only using a 1/2 cut case VW on a LEXL with the extra length fuselage over the LE, , does anyone know if I could go with all chromoly 4130 on the entire empenage ?  I do understand that the XL version was intended for larger pilots but I'm only about 5' 10" and 180 lbs and intend to use that to my advantage by widening the fuselage about 2 or 3 " for extra side space for partial enclosure opportunities / winter flying on skis etc. .

I'm new to this forum and don't fully understand the format or inputs...pls. forgive me but thanks for any input on real experience. 

I've watched
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 49.0 Firefox 49.0
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: Oil or not in the welded fuselage
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 06:27:41 AM »
Welcome, Dave.
I'm no expert on half VWs, but a 69 stroke x 82 piston dia would be real small, and probably low HP.  We had a 69 x 90.5 and it produced about 29 HP, barely enough to fly our LEU.  Hopefully, you meant 69x92?

We did not oil the inside of the fuselage tubing.  As I understand the practice, this to consume the remaining oxygen in the tubing and then prevent rust, for long term protection.  We did not oil the tubing - it adds weight, and there is no expectation that our LEU will operate for many, many years.  That's our thinking.

I have seen the flapping wires, brace tubing, etc., in the videos, including one showing the main structure connecting the fuselage to the front inboard wing mounts vibrating violently, which I know they do not do.  I think much of this is part of the camera shutter, electronics, etc. causing distortion.  There have been builders who have replaced wires with tubing, and other remedies, though.  Just keep in mind that you need to build these things on the light side.

I don't know for sure what effect a 4130 empennage would have due to the extra weight.  Structurally, it would be OK.  The DE's empennage is all 4130.  Keep in mind that the flying CG is important, and should be around 28-30% back of wing LE.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.71 Chrome 54.0.2840.71
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:26:49 AM »
Thanks for that, Tom. Yes..the engine is 69 x 92 mm. Sorry to Scott in Iowa for calling him Steve....I had a long day but did get my first rib built and it came out pretty good.  

I'll work hard to keep the empty weight down and keep a good eye on the c of g. My engine will need a new mount so the building of that will allow some wiggle room to get the c of g right on.

Interestingly, the empty weight restriction of 254 lbs. for ultralights in the US does not exist in Canada. The whole scheme is based somewhat loosely on wing loading and an ultralight can be built up to an empty weight of about 1,100 lbs and can be built and flown with no inspections required. They do need to registered though and the pilot does need a basic Ultralight Pilot Permit.  I'm covered with my Recreational Pilot Permit which is one step above and that allows me to fly at the level of a US experimental airplane.
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Algoa

• 2017 Donor
  • Strange Attractor
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 49.0 Firefox 49.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »
Just received steveiniowa's plan supplement

What's that?

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal