How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Legal Eagle XXL ...just looking for info  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.71 Chrome 54.0.2840.71
  • Eagle Type: XL
Legal Eagle XXL ...just looking for info
« on: November 10, 2016, 09:17:06 PM »
I found some reference to a lad  who may go by the handle neirrh and XXL. I searched this reference and it came up outdated etc. and not available. Just curious while still waiting for my plans, does anyone know about this person...was he building an exrta extra large single seat eagle or what ?  I'm just trying to get a picture of some of the options builders have gone for before committing to my final approach. 

Thanks to Scott in Iowa's drawings I was able to get a couple of ribs done in the last several days and yesterday made a nose rib fixture and routed out  my 10  1/4" nose ribs today in short order. With the jig it took me five minutes per nose rib. I'll get the 1/8" nose ribs done easily tomorrow along with another rib and maybe a jig for some other small part.

Nicely enough I have some spruce left over from other projects and donations from friends. I had a ten foot, 7" x 3" sitka spruce plank that I had a lad rip up for me locally for the rib strips. Still got half the plank left. I also have on hand two sitka spruce planks, both 12 ' long, one 3/4" x 6" and another also 12' x 1/2" x 6" full .  I've also got four old spruce wing spars out of friends rebuild projects that could be ripped and planed for other bits.  My spar web 1/8" ply is interesting and something some of you may not be familiar with. I've got a sheet and 1/2 of  45 deg 3ply spruce plywood on hand. This stuff is virtually unheard of in home building but was specified in the plans for a scratch built Fairchild 51 that I was building a few years back. Somebody from Wicks put me onto the lad and he custom made me four sheets about five years ago....$1,000.00 for the four. Yeow.

Anyway, I'm happy to be building again and grateful for any guidance on my build. Anyone know about neirrh xxl ? Thanks.
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline treed

• lurker
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
Re: Legal Eagle XXL ...just looking for info
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:18:35 AM »
Here you go:   http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18737

Very interesting project although he has not posted on his project since 2015.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »
Here you go:   http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18737

Very interesting project although he has not posted on his project since 2015.

Using the hyperlink icon in the editor toolbar will give a clickable link.  Just be sure there are not 2 http://s

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18737

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »
...was he building an exrta extra large single seat eagle or what ? 

Looking at this drawing he did showing a tubing size legend, it appears he beefed up the fuselage to take the 4 cylinder engine and all his other modifications.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.71 Chrome 54.0.2840.71
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »
Certainly an interesting "change" from plans.

and it brings forth some great advice I was given long ago, advice that has been proven true in many circles of builders.   It may cover 80-90% of builders out there

These are simple.

• 1 design change can easily create 10 more changes
  • a design change, almost always creates a need to be able to draw out what it is, and how it is going to look.
  • if you can't draw it, most likely you shouldn't attempt to build on the fly
  • if it (the design) has worked for many before you, it will most likely work for you.

Lastly and perhaps most important or truthful words of advice given me are-  "you can always change your next plane, after your first one is done" 

Just a soap box speech given to me, many years ago.
Perhaps worth what it cost...
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 06:47:09 AM »
The double eagle is engineered for the 4 cyl engine. Wings are ready  for more power and loads. It would be safer to make a single seat Double Eagle than to stretch the other. 
This has been brought up in the past
So not my two cents
just wanted it back out there
Tom XL-7

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal