How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Spar root end plywood reinforcement clarification  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 56.0.2924.87 Chrome 56.0.2924.87
  • Eagle Type: XL
Spar root end plywood reinforcement clarification
« on: February 11, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »
Lads I've got myself confused about placement the ply reinforcement at the wing root end. Page 35 of my updated plans in the upper right corner says to put ply on both sides with an arrow going to the solid wood filler. I realize that we need 1 1/8" space between the wing root fittings. To me that would mean the spar web on the front side of the front spar counts for 1/8". Then another 1/8" ply piece would be fitted to the rear of the spar and cover the 3/4" solid wood filler and the two spar caps and finally another 1/8" ply bearer would go onto the rear side of the spar getting us the complete 1 1/8" spacing needed. 

On the rear spar, the spar web goes on the back, that second 1/8" plate would on the front and the overhead sketch on page 36 shows that the 2' x 4" bearer goes on the back side over the spar web. 

I have a 2 page copy of the XL plans clarification and changes and the first sentence on the second page seems to contradict what I've described above. Any clarification would be appreciated. I've waded through a pile of pics on this site but did not come across any examples that would help. Thanks.
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 56.0.2924.76 Chrome 56.0.2924.76
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
Re: Spar root end plywood reinforcement clarification
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 04:04:11 AM »
Lads I've got myself confused about placement the ply reinforcement at the wing root end. Page 35 of my updated plans in the upper right corner says to put ply on both sides with an arrow going to the solid wood filler. I realize that we need 1 1/8" space between the wing root fittings. To me that would mean the spar web on the front side of the front spar counts for 1/8". Then another 1/8" ply piece would be fitted to the rear of the spar and cover the 3/4" solid wood filler and the two spar caps and finally another 1/8" ply bearer would go onto the rear side of the spar getting us the complete 1 1/8" spacing needed.

On the rear spar, the spar web goes on the back, that second 1/8" plate would on the front and the overhead sketch on page 36 shows that the 2' x 4" bearer goes on the back side over the spar web.

I have a 2 page copy of the XL plans clarification and changes and the first sentence on the second page seems to contradict what I've described above. Any clarification would be appreciated. I've waded through a pile of pics on this site but did not come across any examples that would help. Thanks.
Try this photo view with the end results at 1.125" spacing- hope this helps.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Dave Stroud

• Dave Stroud
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
Very nice work and thanks, Scott. Is this your interpretation of " one way to do it" or is it a straight clarification of what Leonard describes in his plans ? Man, that's some nice machine you have there to do the drawings. Very versatile and precise. Regards...
Dave Stroud
Ottawa, Canada

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
Scott's drawings here illustrate the plans exactly as I read them (with the clarifications pages ).
I'm not seeing this as one of the multiple ways to do it but as being true to the drawings.
I saw your post last evening but was out of state and not with my drawings. This is the way I remembered the fittings and spacer pads but I did not want to comment without a review of the drawings which I have just completed. Feel comfortable with the detail illustrations provided. Scott's drawings with the exception of the K block which he has added to assist with the aileron cove are straight from the drawings. 

Tom XL-7

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 56.0.2924.76 Chrome 56.0.2924.76
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
Very nice work and thanks, Scott. Is this your interpretation of " one way to do it" or is it a straight clarification of what Leonard describes in his plans ? Man, that's some nice machine you have there to do the drawings. Very versatile and precise. Regards...

Just like Tom said, I did not change a thing on how to build the front and rear areas of the spars.  Depends on how you read the XL plans, I do think I clarified visually the way to do it.  And again, I did add the K block to simplify the cove area.. I did not think up this way, I certainly would credit Sam B but his help in this area doesn't seem to up any longer.  His was a great resource, which I enjoyed greatly.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal