How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Rudder pedal blocks  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Kenny S

Rudder pedal blocks
« on: January 13, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to put in the floor board and mount the rudders and was wondering where I can get rudder blocks and if I should use plastic or wood?

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
Re: Rudder pedal blocks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 05:43:18 AM »
On our DE I used red oak blocks made from left-over flooring job.  And, I inserted alum sleeves as bearings for the steel tubing of the rudder pedal assy. to rotate in.  May not be necessary, but, at the time, I thought the sleeves would prevent any sticking from the oak swelling and provide longer lasting bearing surface.  These blocks mount to a 1/4" thick plywood floorboard.  This, to me, is the weak link of the assy.  And, trying to keep the bearings blocks lined up to reduce binding was an effort, too.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
I had some nice pieces of hard maple that I used for bearing blocks.  Used a bit of graphite and grease for lube.  I remember there was one piece of equipment that used hard wood for bearings - don't remember what it was - when I was a kid on the farm.  it seemed to hold up just fine.

Rob

Offline bill utt

• Beta testers
  • flown 7-5-14
  • Eagle Type: Modified DE
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:41:52 AM »
I chose to mount mine high and drop them to where they hit the balls of my feet. Allowed heel brakes, fabrication was simple and mounting alignment was easy.
I did have to redirect the cables with the addition of two pulleys.
Not that I think it is better, just suits me.
Will try to find pictures and post in gallery.
Best regards,
Bill
"Any time spent off this planet, is time well invested"

Offline rfeenstra

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
My system is mounted high as well.  I copied, to some extent, my Comanche rudder pedal system.  It kept the floor clear so that I could put in heal brakes.  I was used to heal brakes from when I had my Champ.

Rob

Offline Kenny S

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »
Great thanks guys!  I took a look at the pics u posted bill looks good.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal